Abandoned Building...

Yeah, I never even thought about the tax assessor's office.

Like I said, there are no signs, and the gate is unlocked. I'm not too worried about being threatened. First, I'm 6'2", tippin' in around 265lb, and I can handle myself. Secondly, I'll be armed. Third, the building is, literally, right next to Main Street, and it's going to be broad daylight. It's street, sidewalk, fence, cool abandoned building.

I'll go and check it out...

Just double checked the statute in Florida, Title XLVI 810.09 on Burglary and Trespass - According to statute you can be arrested for trespass without an underlying offense if they have signs posted OR the property is surrounded by a fence, whether or not it is locked is immaterial. So while the police would most likely not chose to arrest and even if they did it's doubtful they would chose to prosecute, under the law it is possible that they could. So I think your best bet to avoid any possible legal entanglements would be to see if you could find the property owner and contact them for permission prior to entry.

Hmmmm... Interesting.

If nothing else, it looks like I'd better leave the Kimber in the truck...

Ok, maybe I misunderstood.. there are no signs that say "No Trespassing?"

Correct...

Lol.. well in my home state if it isn't marked with a sign then simply being on the property is not enough to get you arrested, you'd have to be doing something else as well or all they could do is ask you to leave. Now if you refused to leave then they could arrest you for trespass. Unfortunately in Florida the statute is worded differently. If they have no trespassing signs, or a fence - then you can be arrested for trespass even if there is no other charge associated with your visit. So yup, afraid your best bet will be to try and track down the owner.

Appreciate the legwork!

There are a lot of old cotton mills around here ,same scenario . Funny thing ,My Dog named "Harvey" gets in them places All the time ! But here I have to look out for "Live wires " Looters have been swiping any copper they can ,some have even been found DEAD, from the electrics being still on. Be careful !

Let me guess - west side of the corner of Main and Cochran, just south of St John's Ave. Property is owned by the Town of Hastings.

Hastings is small - not hard to find a large building with no roof in Google Maps.

Then google whichever county you want and "GIS SIMS MAP". That took me to St. Johns county imap. Accept the disclaimer and you get access to an interactive map that will give you information including the owner of any parcel of property. Many counties have interactive maps, but not all.

I found St. Johns County's map did not work in Explorer, but Chrome worked just fine.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back