about self portraits

leejt1986

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So I've been messing around trying to take self portraits lately. My biggest problem seems to be setting the focus. It seems like I have to be extremely close to the camera and likely using a 50mm or 20mm lens. I've been wanting to use my 17-40 lens. Does anyone have any tips to setting the focus for a self portrait?

try a stand in and manual focus? Thats probably what i would do. Mind you i tend to like to stay on the other side of the camera. :p

Trial and error, but put a mark on the ground so that you remail in a static spot while you adjust your focus.

Before I got light stands, I would use a broom leaning on the back of chair or a floor lamp or anything else close at hand to find a focus point where my eyes will be in the frame. Get sharp focus there and then turn auto-focus OFF. Use an apeture that allows a deeper DoF for slop until you get the hang of it. Trial and error is the best instructor. My last SP here.

Oh yeah, you'll get better results using a tripod.... and don't foget the self-timer.

Trial and error, I guess! I took my avatar by just taking a bunch and playing around with my 35mm. I don't make a habit of it, so I'm not sure of any other way! ;)

i took a second strobe and set it at my head level and used manual focus, set fstop at 8 for decent dof and came out decent focus. lean forward or back and it can throw off the focus though, so like all said above, lots of trial and error. Anything can stand in for the strobe though, and mark the spot.

Try a high-tech solution. Like a piece of string that is as long as the desired focus distance. I'll leave it to the imagination as to how to use this technology...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back