absolute noob to photography, but i love it

HTSamurai

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I love B&W stuff, especially faces and cityscapes
so i've two questions

firstly, can you reccomend photographers who do alot or have dabbled in either?

secondly, whats a good camera, preferably under $200, to start out with? i've been using my phone for as long as i can remember, id link my myspace but it might be spam so to be safe i wont.

please and thank you, i really like some of the stuff i've seen on here; which is why i joined this forum as opposed to other photo forums. :mrgreen:

HTSamurai said:
secondly, whats a good camera, preferably under $200, to start out with? i've been using my phone for as long as i can remember, id link my myspace but it might be spam so to be safe i wont.
You get out of a camera what you put in. You can use any camera you want as long as you understand it's limitations and work within those limitation. I have shots from my superzoom Fuji and from my old 2 mp point and shoot that I love.

For $200, any of the available superzoom cameras are nice cameras. They all have the capability of manual controls. They all have through-the-lens viewfinders, but they are electronic and not optical. They all have great range in the focal lengths. They all are nicer to use than a compact because of the size, the viewfinder, and the capability to take a more stable shot over compact because of those reasons. Low light usage is a huge drawback to superzoom cameras. They do not do well in low light because at higher sensitivity (ISO setting), the noise is unacceptable.

Kodak and Fuji are the typical $200 superzooms. Canon and Sony are typically more expensive. I chose my Fuji due to price over Canon and Sony and due to how it felt in my hand over Kodak (the Kodaks are more "cramped" to my fingers.)

None can compare to the flexibility and usability of a dSLR, but you are looking at above $400 for a dSLR.

Honestly save a little more and you could get a used DSLR with kit lens pretty inexpensively under $400 easily.

yeah quite true if you are sure you want to take your photography to the next level you might want a D40 or something cheap and used that Point and shoot is most likley going to be junk to you in 6 months,

save yourself now!

If you are on a budget, then you are on a budget - I understand. For $200 or less, I'd strongly consider this one:

Steves Digicams - Panasonic DMC-TZ4 Digital Camera - Hands on Review

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMC-TZ4K-Digital-Optical-Stabilized/dp/B0011Z6D86/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1231603419&sr=8-1]Amazon.com: Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ4K 8.1MP Digital Camera with 10x Wide Angle MEGA Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Black): Electronics[/ame]

Other well-reviewed cameras: Steve's Digicams - The "Best" Digicams

I have the big brother to this one and I have been really happy with it.

FinePix J12

get a fujifilm J12 they are cheap at 129$ but good quality, snazzy style and are easy to use

bleh...its ugly!
not that that matters really, i just couldnt take myself seriously if i was shooting w/ that guy.

as for saving a bit more for a used dslr, i think ill hold off till i know i wanna stick with this. if not then no loss, i have a cool little camera.
if i do then ill save up for it no prob :)

thanks guys :mrgreen:

I agree with a used camera...actually if you want to take this serious and learn something I would suggest a used Canon AE-1. It s a film camera but you can get one of those with lenses and other accessories for around $200. Easy to get your film developed and put on CD for easy uploading, and it will give you the basics of more advanced photography. Use it till you can save up for a decent DSLR. Either that keep saving until you can come up with $400 - $500 and get a good used DSLR.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back