Achieving 50mm "feel" on a crop sensor?

I agree with christop. If you match field of view and camera position (camera position and only camera position determines what is generally called perspective) then an image from a crop sensor camera can have the same look as one from a larger camera, and they can be impossible to tell apart. If you are trying to match the look of a particular lens, or a particular camera, then it is a different story. If you want to match shallow depth of field, then the smaller format may be at a disadvantage.

In answer to the original question, if there is no close match I would be inclined to choose the longer focal length for your purposes, but it really is your personal choice based on your preference.

Fjrabon - would anybody be able to actually look at a photo and say "that was taken with a crop-sensor" or "this was full frame"?

Why would someone even worry or care about something like that?

The reason I asked this question is because people are talking about the "feel" of different formats - cropped frame, full frame, etc. I don't understand why that is, but my question is, it may "feel" different to someone, but does that even translate over to the final image? This "feel" of different formats?

Fjrabon - would anybody be able to actually look at a photo and say "that was taken with a crop-sensor" or "this was full frame"?

Why would someone even worry or care about something like that?

The reason I asked this question is because people are talking about the "feel" of different formats - cropped frame, full frame, etc. I don't understand why that is, but my question is, it may "feel" different to someone, but does that even translate over to the final image? This "feel" of different formats?

I guess what I was trying to say is I've never looked at an image and wondered what format it was shot on. Or better yet I've never looked at a great image and degraded it purely b/c of the format it was shot on.

Youtube has a few comparisons of side by side crop vs Full frame shots. It surprised me at how much of difference it makes. I still resisted the urge to go out and grab the 5d Mk II (now about 1700 brand new if you know where to look)...and I put my money in glass. (kept my 40 and 60D's)

Next purchase will be a full frame, now that I'm satisfied with my glass. Not that I need it but I want it.

It depends on how discerning their eye is. At a high aperture, with good lighting, probably not. But high apertures and good lighting aren't why you buy full frame to begin with.

I don't think it's a gigantic difference. Hence why I still own a crop frame as my primary personal camera.

But look at an image from a phase 180 and compare it to something from a really good crop frame, and try to tell me you can't see the difference. Just because the difference is smaller in degree between crop and full frame doesn't mean it's still not there.

You can use equivalent f-stops, and equivalent FOVs and get probably indiscernibly close, but then again, if you're using an 85mm f/1.4 on a full frame, there is no equivalent f/stop you can even put on a crop frame to get that DoF. And this isn't even taking low light performance into account.

Buy a used Canon 5D Classic for $650. Problems solved.

I've considered this, even going with the more video capable 5D Mark II down the line. For now I'm still saving money until I reach about $2500 to invest. In the time it takes to save up I'm doing as much research and reading as possible, along with practicing on my current setup. (500D + 50mm 1.8 & 18-55mm-3.5-5.6) Going full frame or staying with a crop sensor is definitely something on my mind. Now that I've learned how important the lens is over the body, I've started to rethink how I'll invest in the future. Even skipping the purchase of lower tier lens and being patient to get used L series lens has crossed my mind. I'm trying to not be impulsive buying all this equipment I don't fully understand or know how to properly use or to make reach its maximum potential until I fully understand it. The more I study the more I realize how important other things are besides expensive equipment. This is a hobby AND business investment for me, I want to make money from the work I do, so I'll do whatever it takes to master the craft inside-out. I'm even considering taking a workshop with some of the money I save up.

I would just go with the 35mm. I have no experience with Canon, but I bought a 50mm for my crop sensor and I wish I had gone with the 35. That will be as close as you can get unless you want a Sigma 30mm? Sigma 30mm f/1.4 EX DC HSM Autofocus Lens for Canon Digital

Great recommendation. I'm going to look into this lens on pixel-peeper to see photos produced with it and read some reviews. One thing I read about this lens on the Sigma site as well as the link you provided is that its for Crop and 4/3 sensors ONLY. Being realistic with myself, I know I'm going to full frame sometime in the future so this is a major investment concern. It's something I'll have to do more thinking on.

I agree with Darrel. I had the same dilemma a while back and ended up buying a 5D classic and i love it. Was totally worth it.

Would you mind posting or linking me to any of the photos you've taken with your setup? I see you're using using the 50mm 1.8, which I already have, along with the 17-40mm L. I'm very interested in seeing some of the shots you're getting.

I agree with Darrel. I had the same dilemma a while back and ended up buying a 5D classic and i love it. Was totally worth it.

Would you mind posting or linking me to any of the photos you've taken with your setup? I see you're using using the 50mm 1.8, which I already have, along with the 17-40mm L. I'm very interested in seeing some of the shots you're getting.

Not a problem. When I get to my laptop later today I can do that for you.

Buy a used Canon 5D Classic for $650. Problems solved.

I've considered this, even going with the more video capable 5D Mark II down the line. For now I'm still saving money until I reach about $2500 to invest. In the time it takes to save up I'm doing as much research and reading as possible, along with practicing on my current setup. (500D + 50mm 1.8 & 18-55mm-3.5-5.6) Going full frame or staying with a crop sensor is definitely something on my mind. Now that I've learned how important the lens is over the body, I've started to rethink how I'll invest in the future. Even skipping the purchase of lower tier lens and being patient to get used L series lens has crossed my mind. I'm trying to not be impulsive buying all this equipment I don't fully understand or know how to properly use or to make reach its maximum potential until I fully understand it. The more I study the more I realize how important other things are besides expensive equipment. This is a hobby AND business investment for me, I want to make money from the work I do, so I'll do whatever it takes to master the craft inside-out. I'm even considering taking a workshop with some of the money I save up.

Keep at it! Save money. My motto is to never buy something more than twice. If the first run of gear got you hooked, invest in nice equipment. Don't constantly be buying slightly better stuff, you'll lose more in resale over time.

Also, learn as much as you can. One workshop? Try a few. Sit tight with your 500D. Definitely invest in nice glass. Upgrade the body when you're content with your lens array. Shoot often. Like all the time. With new lenses you'll grow to love the 500D. And when you upgrade you'll love your lenses even more.

I hope this isn't a silly question. I'm looking to invest into a prime lens to achieve somewhat of a 50mm fov on a crop sensor. A 28mm would give 44.8mm, and a 35mm would give a 56mm fov. The two lens I've been looking into are the Canon EF 28mm f1.8 USM ($510) and the EF 35mm f2($320). Any of you guys have experience with either of these lens? I'm looking to do fashion photography and portraits.

Thanks.
A lens somewhere between a 28mm and a 35mm will give you the same FIELD OF VIEW as a 50mm on a FULL FRAME camera. Neither will give you the same DEPTH OF FIELD (focus) as that is dependent on focal length. When comparing DoF between 50mm and 35mm lenses, they are about 1 full stop different. This means a 35mm will have a similar DoF at f/2.8 as a 50mm at f/4.0. So, a 35mm lens on crop frame will have a similar FoV and DoF (feel) of a 50mm on FF when set 1 f/stop larger than the 50mm.

I use the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 as my 'standard prime' on my crop DSLR; I used to use a 28mm f/2.8.

However, for shooting fashion, I've found 50mm on crop a very useful length too.

As for full-frame, it depends on your motivations. I craved full-frame for a long time as it seemed the only way to get decent low-light sensor performance. With high-ISO performance of the APS-C sensors released within the last year or so, I don't think that particular argument is compelling any longer; and I've decided to commit myself to APS-C long term.

I hope this isn't a silly question. I'm looking to invest into a prime lens to achieve somewhat of a 50mm fov on a crop sensor. A 28mm would give 44.8mm, and a 35mm would give a 56mm fov. The two lens I've been looking into are the Canon EF 28mm f1.8 USM ($510) and the EF 35mm f2($320). Any of you guys have experience with either of these lens? I'm looking to do fashion photography and portraits.

Thanks.

I have the 35mm 2.0 and in my opinion for the money it cannot be beat. It is an awesome little lens.

Most reactions

Back