Achieving This Over-exposed background example

smackitsakic

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Chris Orwig is quickly becoming one of my favourite photographers. I love his style and love his enthusiasm.

When strolling through his block the other day I came across these photos:

http://www.chrisorwig.com/flipside/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/annika_and_i.jpg

Love them! The emotion is great, but it was the lighting that initially drew me to look closer at this photo.

Question - how do you achieve this proper exposure of Chris and his child with the overexposed background while still keeping somewhat crisp edges? I've tried doing this a few times, metering off of the subject when there is very strong backlighting, but always have blown out edges.

Can you give me some links to some helpful information for how to overcome this? Is it a matter of the subject(s) needing to be in a shaded area?

Models are in a shaded area with sunlight surrounding.
The exposure latitude between the shade and background is high.
The exposure on the models is actually over-exposed ... if those images were up for C&C on this forum, that would be the first comment.

Models are in a shaded area with sunlight surrounding.
The exposure latitude between the shade and background is high.
The exposure on the models is actually over-exposed ... if those images were up for C&C on this forum, that would be the first comment.

Thanks.

So, in following up to that, if the models were also in direct sunlight and they were correctly exposed, would the automatic result be softer edges and a less blown out sky?

Part of it, is that they just have a bright background...but not actually a bright sun behind them. To put it another way, while the background is brighter than the subjects, it's probably only 2 stops or so brighter...so while it is blown out, it's not overpowering the photo.

Also, I'd guess that the edges of the subjects, do have a fair bit of light wrapping around them, but the processing & conversion to B&W was done in a way that minimizes it, or at least makes it harder to notice.

There is a reason why the artist made it b&w becaust it looks bad in color.

There is a reason why the artist made it b&w becaust it looks bad in color.

I thought the newest Rebels had an N mode for that type of blown out background look with no detail....Newbie mode...is that right?

thanks Derrel, i need a laugh this morning.

Those shots are awful, nothing artistic about them just very bad photography
turned B+W to try and make them look better

Part of it, is that they just have a bright background...but not actually a bright sun behind them. To put it another way, while the background is brighter than the subjects, it's probably only 2 stops or so brighter...so while it is blown out, it's not overpowering the photo.

Also, I'd guess that the edges of the subjects, do have a fair bit of light wrapping around them, but the processing & conversion to B&W was done in a way that minimizes it, or at least makes it harder to notice.

Thanks Big Mike.

Most reactions

Back