Actions

Tatiana_

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi.. This is probably an awful question to ask, but. I feel like every other mom is a photographer now. Some are good, but some are just barely ok. But I feel like all they do is run a picture through a Photoshop action and make it somewhat interesting.

Could someone recommend resources for good and cheap actions, or even better -free ones!

Thanks!

For less than $100 you can acquire Adobe Photoshop Elements. It will almost everything an amateur photographer needs for post processing. It is truly a great value compared to most other things from Adobe.

First of all you specifically asked for "actions" does this mean you already have Photoshop? Which version? If not there are other less expensive routes for the inexperienced. A digital image is nothing more than a data file, there is an old saying with computers - Garbage in, garbage out. So if you aren't willing to spend a little time learning the basics of photography, no amount of presets or actions are going to make up for a bad image.

Do you use Gimp yourself?

Yep, already for around 5 years or a little more now.
(only for editing of course,... for processing the image I use a RAW converter ACDSee Pro 6).

Before I had PS (some early version). And I can do already more now in Gimp than what I ever did in PS than.

Gimp looks a bit archaic and with a less looking design, but you can do the same with it (certainly the basics).

Only for actions it's a little more difficult as you cannot record, but you can script it, in multiple languages, and make it very versatile.
I have a few Gimp scripts I share on my website I use for watermarking and creating borders. It can be done more professionally I know, but haven't had the time to create more complex stuff now as I don't need anything more complex for the moment.

The good part: it's totally free and works on almost any operating system, you can even install on a usb key to have it portable.

Thanks for the reply. I'm always pleased when people recommend what they own and use rather parroting some internet consensus opinion.

I have used Photoshop Elements for many years I am on version 18 now.

"Actions" is the tool for automating your workflow. This is not a magic button.
It makes something good only with the picture it has been made for.
If you have the same images sequence it'll work good, otherwise required adjustments can be tough.

All those actions and presets are good for just one thing - automatic transferring money from your pocket to seller's pocket.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back