What's new

adrift

KenC

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Joined
Jan 18, 2010
Messages
5,699
Reaction score
1,472
Location
Philadelphia
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
wood103111.jpg
 
I like it. Would like more image of the top so the hinge is more on center. I might also try black and white.
 
Or shot from below so you could see the separation from the door and such
 
So many lines flowing in every possible direction... this was obviously a difficult image to compose. With an image like this, achieving a balance is key and I think that's exactly what you've done. Some will say that the main subject is oddly positioned, but that's not important at all here. A big thumbs up from me.

While I agree with Mike that the type of subject screams for B&W, the conversion would have to be done masterfully to keep the interest of the viewer as the colour version does. Good luck keeping the blue hinge as the centre of attention :)
 
I really like this image in colour. The blue of the hinge is what visually separates it from the wood. Works well with the textures.

Did you try to crop the bottom off a bit? - i.e. take out everything below the bottom of that light coloured piece of wood that ends in the middle-bottom of the shot. That creates a really strong leading line up that piece of wood and along the hinge itself (does that make any sense at all?? I hope so).
 
Thanks, everyone! Normally I would prefer bw for this type of shot, but the color scheme turned out to be so good I couldn't part with it. Cropping the bottom also occurred to me, but I like the balance the way it is. Even if it could be considered a bit top-heavy because of the hinge, I think there's a certain amount of beneficial tension from that. Well, it's all a trade-off, like everything, so you make your choices and take your chances. I'll try it in bw soon just to see what happens.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom