Adventure gears

molested_cow

TPF Supporters
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
img24.photobucket.com
Recently I've been taking some short videos with my phone's camera because that's the only video recording device I have. Personally I've been wanting to get into video, except that I don't know anything about it.
Sometimes I hold my camera on one hand and drive/ride on my scooter with the other. This is definitely not something to be mimicked by anyone. The thing is, I don't have the choice because I don't have something like Go-Pro.

Go-Pro seems to be a niche product, meaning it's usually used with some kind of mounting rig. I don't see people using it as it is without any mounting. So it's not exactly versatile in terms of being used for other purposes. So these supposedly rugged point and shoots become something to consider:

Nikon Coolpix AW110 and S31 deliver ruggedized shooting at vastly different price points

The thing is, it's so "point and shoot" that I really don't think it's convenient for "adventure" use. I guess hikers can stop and take time to snap a shot, but honestly, you can just use a regular point and shoot for that. If it's to be designed to be rugged, then it better be designed to be used in activities when these adventures take place. For me when I look at these rugged point and shoots, I can't figure out what adventures I can take it on to. It's just like any point and shoot to me.

I guess I am thinking about a camera that offers a variety of mounting or holding options beyond just the screw thread on the bottom. Perhaps a slot for strap options. Perhaps a attachment for different grip options. What about various viewing options? Or even come in as a form of a kit, where you have the camera module and the data storage module and power module separated to allow each component to be as portable as possible? To me these "rugged" point and shoots are just lazy efforts to check the box on offering a "complete product offering". In another words, corporate crap.

Offering improvements in performance and technology really doesn't satisfy the needs of someone who would need a rugged camera. So what if it's got 36mp with superb low light sensitivity if I've got no hand to use it?

I don't really have anything to suggest to you that seems perfect as per your requirements, what I would buy if I was going for adventures would be either one of these:
Ricoh G700
Olympus TG-820
Pentax Optio WG-2
Fujifilm Finepix XP170

I've heard some complaints about Nikon AW cameras that they're not as good as other rugged cameras. Plus Canon Powershot D10 and D20 also don't seem to be that good in the rugged market. The Olympus and Pentax have been making rugged cameras from quite a time, especially Pentax seems to be really good. Next's up to you ;).

m_c - have you thought about a pistol grip waterproof camera like the Sony GW77 ($549 new, $460 used)? It shoots outstanding video and stills, has a real grip for day-to-day use, is made for the outdoors, and has a tripod socket for a handlebar mount - that way you can put both hands back on the handlebars and ride a little safer :)

Here is what this camera can do in the field (please watch in 1080p):

Hope this is helpful,

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back