Advice buying a film Nikon SLR please

David J Colbran

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello,

I need some advice please, I need to buy a film Nikon SLR for a photography course that I am doing.

Nikon, as I have a digital D70 and I'd like to share lenses between the two, and ability to manual alter most of the functions.

I'd like to get something fairly professional and probably second hand - what should i look for?

Thanks in advance for your help

David

are you concerned with manually changing ISO? if you are, grab a good used N80. if not, save your money and get the N75.

md

How much money do you have to spend and will you continue using the camera after your course? If money is not a real huge problem I would recommend an F3 or, if you want bells and whistles along with auto focus, the F100. It's my understanding the lenses will interchange with the D70. I personally use an F3 and I think it's one of the finest film cameras Nikon has ever produced. Built like a tank and very dependable. Believe it or not they still make 'em today. You can pick up a very decent F3 or F3HP on eBay for around $400 to $500 (body only). My .02 pesos...

cheers for the advice guys, unfortunately i think the F100 might be out of my price range - as i said i'm a student and owner of a small business, so the F80 is the one i'm going for

thanks again

david

i have an F80, its great. no faults with it whatsoever. the only thing i wish it had was a faster frame rate. ergonimically its one of the best cameras ive used, it fits so well into your hand.

i would advise u get the MB-16 battery grip too

I also have a D70 and just picked up a used N90s for a steal. Nikon stopped making the N90s a few years ago but it has a lot in common with the F100. You can find N90s for around $300 or a used F100 for $500.

If you want a new camera then the N80 or N75 are great choices. If you want to move up to a proameteur camera then look at used N90s or F100's.

Just so you realize there was also an N90 which is different then the N90s.

K

yeah, get an N80, you cant go wrong there. price is right, your lenses will fit, and it will do anything you should need to do on 35mm.

Most reactions

Back