Advice for an A57 buyer?

ricksname

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi guys, after having my heart set on an A65 for some time, I've weighed up my options and decided I might be better off with an A57 for the difference in cost. I'm planning to buy here in the UK, and have found this deal:

Sony Alpha A57 Digital SLT Camera with 18-55mm and 55-200mm Lens

It looks pretty good to my untrained eye, but I could also buy it without the lenses and find them seperately.

Sony Alpha SLT-A57 SLR Digital Camera (Body Only)

Perhaps with this as a starting lens?

Sigma 50-200mm f/4-5.6 DC OS HSM Sony-alpha

Thanks for any advice!

I would skip both lenses in favor of a single better one.

If I were to go with a single higher-quality lens, I'd be looking for something fairly versatile. Someone recommended a Sony SAL1650 16-50mm F/2.8. Slightly beyond my price range, but I could possibly stretch to it. What do you think?

I went with the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8. A bit cheaper, it has very good reviews. Some say its better than the Sony. I use it all the time. My 35 f1.8 and 50 f1.8 I almost never use now.

For an PAS-C sensor, the SAL1680Z works well... 16mm to 80mm Zeiss for about $1,000 in the US (dont know Europe costs). By the way, you do know the A58 is coming out soon, right? OLED EVF...

I think it is also noteworthy that there is a amble supply of good used lens that will work well with the A57.

Here are three that I purchased from the major online auction site for a total of less than $175 dollars including shipping. While these lens are not fantastic lens they are still good.

_DSC3446_edited-1.jpg

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I went with the Sigma 17-50mm f2.8. A bit cheaper, it has very good reviews. Some say its better than the Sony. I use it all the time. My 35 f1.8 and 50 f1.8 I almost never use now.

Ive heard noting but good things about that lens. I heard for video it is ideal since it is specifically designed to be integrated with Sony cameras. But in the end I opted to get a Sigma 17-50 f2.8 too. It made more since since my other zoom lenses were sigma. The transistion between lenses is seamless on the processing end since all the different zooms give you a very similar white balance. Price did play a factor too. Nothing wrong with saving $100. I do wish the sigma have a better focusing wheel. Much to loose in my opinion which make manual focusing sloppy.

Thanks for all the input, guys!

I'm still comparing lenses. For someone new to SLRs (or SLTs!) the range of things available, and what makes a good or a bad lens, is pretty overwhelming. I've been keeping an eye out for a second hand Sigma 17-50mm f2.8, but it's still a little expensive. I really don't want to pay more than around £300 for my first lens. I know this is very much the cheap end of zoom lenses, but surely with that money I should be able to find something far better than the kit lens. Any suggestions more in this range?

That Sigma 28-70 f2.8 is definitely on the list, but thoughts on these?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sigma-17-...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item5aef79809c

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tamron-SP...=UK_Lenses_Filters_Lenses&hash=item35c605bd06

The Tamron has very positive reviews, and is much more in my kind of range.

Last edited:
As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back