Advice needed for Event Photography

tess_thereb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone!

I need advice on if I need a better lens for some event photography shots I've been asked to do in against a backdrop/photo booth. I was previously a Nikon shooter (Nikon D3200) for the past 3 years but sold all my Nikon gear last year (prep for a major relocation). A few weeks ago, I purchased a Canon 77d with the 18-55 STM Lens. I went with Canon this time for better video capabilities.

Would this lens be enough for taking group shots and low light pictures at F4 minimum? I hesitate to purchase the sigma 17-50mm F2.8 because I want to be able to use the lens for videography as well. I plan to purchase a flash also (Godox TT600) which I'm also open to suggestions on. I'm on a strict budget for the lens as a university student (maximum $300). Thanks for all suggestions and advice!

Would this lens be enough for taking group shots and low light pictures at F4 minimum? I hesitate to purchase the sigma 17-50mm F2.8 because I want to be able to use the lens for videography as well. I plan to purchase a flash also (Godox TT600) which I'm also open to suggestions on. I'm on a strict budget for the lens as a university student (maximum $300). Thanks for all suggestions and advice!
Hello!

I think the lens you have will be just fine, providing you can get everyone in the frame. Go see the backdrop and see if your lens at 18mm will get the entire backdrop in the frame. Or at least a small group of people in the frame. The issue is space in which to back up far enough to get coverage with 18mm.

I am skeptical about the "low light" thing. You should plan on using flash for stills, and get whatever you need to get the flash off camera, such as; a light stand and white umbrella, with a long cord to fire the flash. That setup will go a long way toward improving your shots.

No on the Sigma lens.

Yes on a tripod. Even with a flash (now turned off), you may find yourself wanting to make some short videos in addition to the still shots. If you are serious about video, you might think about getting a continuous light, maybe something like a LED panel of about 12 inches square, or perhaps a compact fluorescent light with diffuser. Continuous lighting is not ideal for portraiture, however, so you will still need the flash for stills.

I think your $300 budget might be enough to get a flash with stand and modifier, and maybe a continuous light as well.

Good luck!

If you can slave a couple of flashes (if the situation will allow it, do so.
Otherwise try to shoot a bit wide (further away but zoomed in a bit) to even out the lighting.

An f4 will be ok provided there is enough ambient light. If a flash(s) you will defiantly get good light.

Otherwise a 35mm, 40mm, or 50mm may be in order.
The 50mm f1.8 STM is a good choice along with the 40mm. The 35mm f1.4 will set you back about $500. The 40mm STM will hit you about 125 and the same with the 50mm STM.

The smaller the f-stop the better the lighting conditions.
But watch camera shake and hold steady. Or shoot a tripod.

I watched one of these deals at a big birthday party. After the photographs were made against the backdrop, somebody then substituted the background (to; Venice, London, New York, etc.) and kids could get the files and send to all their friends on social media within only a few minutes. I was impressed.

Hello!

I think the lens you have will be just fine, providing you can get everyone in the frame. Go see the backdrop and see if your lens at 18mm will get the entire backdrop in the frame. Or at least a small group of people in the frame. The issue is space in which to back up far enough to get coverage with 18mm.

I am skeptical about the "low light" thing. You should plan on using flash for stills, and get whatever you need to get the flash off camera, such as; a light stand and white umbrella, with a long cord to fire the flash. That setup will go a long way toward improving your shots.

No on the Sigma lens.

Yes on a tripod. Even with a flash (now turned off), you may find yourself wanting to make some short videos in addition to the still shots. If you are serious about video, you might think about getting a continuous light, maybe something like a LED panel of about 12 inches square, or perhaps a compact fluorescent light with diffuser. Continuous lighting is not ideal for portraiture, however, so you will still need the flash for stills.

I think your $300 budget might be enough to get a flash with stand and modifier, and maybe a continuous light as well.

Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. I agree that the kit lens would suffice. I'm thinking of also renting a 24-105 F4L lens for this event as I'm also told I would have to take pictures of the speakers. I've read a lot of great things about it.

In terms of flash, what would you recommend? I realised the Godox TT600 is a manual flash. The flash would be used on-camera as I don't really have the means to set up and learn about off-camera flash in such a short amount of time (The event will be on Friday). The last flash I had was the Neewer VK750II with my Nikon and it was great. I knew my way around it. I'd have to learn a bit about the new flash I plan to get beforehand which I plan to purchase today or tomorrow. I would also purchase an LED panel like suggested. How is this Godox LED64 panel? The last thing to get is the tripod and I'm good to go!

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you can slave a couple of flashes (if the situation will allow it, do so.
Otherwise try to shoot a bit wide (further away but zoomed in a bit) to even out the lighting.

An f4 will be ok provided there is enough ambient light. If a flash(s) you will defiantly get good light.

Otherwise a 35mm, 40mm, or 50mm may be in order.
The 50mm f1.8 STM is a good choice along with the 40mm. The 35mm f1.4 will set you back about $500. The 40mm STM will hit you about 125 and the same with the 50mm STM.

The smaller the f-stop the better the lighting conditions.
But watch camera shake and hold steady. Or shoot a tripod.

These are all great suggestions, down the line I will add the 35mm and the 50mm to my arsenal. Unfortunately I won't get to see how the venue would be set up but I've learned to always come prepared with photography. As I've dealt with events like this before though, I don't think I'll fare badly.

Thanks for the reply. I agree that the kit lens would suffice. I'm thinking of also renting a 24-105 F4L lens for this event as I'm also told I would have to take pictures of the speakers. I've read a lot of great things about it.

In terms of flash, what would you recommend? I realised the Godox TT600 is a manual flash. The flash would be used on-camera as I don't really have the means to set up and learn about off-camera flash in such a short amount of time (The event will be on Friday). The last flash I had was the Neewer VK750II with my Nikon and it was great. I knew my way around it. I'd have to learn a bit about the new flash I plan to get beforehand which I plan to purchase today or tomorrow. I would also purchase an LED panel like suggested. How is this Godox LED64 panel? The last thing to get is the tripod and I'm good to go!
I can't offer any specific recommendations on a flash for a Canon or on continuous lighting. I use Nikon, and I have several Nikon-compatable speedlights, and I don't use cont. lighting.

Given the very short prep. time for this event, maybe I would change my mind about using flash. It's going to take some time to learn how to use flash, so go ahead and rent a fast lens and just roll with it.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

Back