Advice on camera under $1,500

coachteeter

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm looking to purchase a DSLR. I can spend around $1,500.00
After some research, I've kind of narrowed things down between the Nikon D90 and the Pentax K7. I like the fact that the Pentax has image stabilization built in, so I could use older lenses and not have to pay as much down the road.

Suggestions???

Thanks!

Image stabilization is a very convenient feature. I have read, though I don't know if it is true, that in lens stabilizing is better than sensor shifting stabilizing. Either way, I recommend you not become dependent on it, learn to use the correct shutter speeds, F-stops, and ISO the shot requires.

IS will get you a couple shutter speeds slower if need though, I have one lens that has IS, and I always have it turned on, why not use it if you paid for it. My main "go to" lens does not have it though, so knowing how to use the settings helps here, along with good hand holding techniques. There are times I use a tripod, but, I'm more of a walk about shooter.

Go with what ever camera feels right, and has the features you think you will use most. As long as your happy with it, then you picked the right one.

Whats wrong with Canon?

Pump up that budget just a LITTLE bit and grab the new 7D.

The new K-7 sounds like a pretty nice camera.
About $400 more than a D90 ($300 after the $100 rebate).
9 cross type focus points to the D90's one cross type focus point. Metal body, but they stop short of calling it sealed, by saying just resistant. The D90 is all plastic and Nikon makes no claims about dust or water intrusion. I wonder how high a usable ISO the K-7 has.
The D90's strongest asset is it's high ISO performance.

As always, good glass is the place to focus your photography dollars, because camera bodies get replaced more frequently. They have more moving parts that wear out than lenses do.

Ultimately, once you choose a brand, you're buying into a system of bodies, lenses, accessories and 3rd party availability.

I suggest you call the folks at Kemore Camera and ask them about some options. They are not too far from your location,and are really nice folks. The D90 will use "older lenses" as well as the K7 will. In-body stabilization though is something that Pentax does have,and it would stabilize any lens you can mount on there, and with the K and KA and KA-F mounts, there are lot of older lenses available for Pentax.

Pentax also has some *very* well thought out focal length lenses in the prime "Limited Series" and the weather-sealed DA* (D-A-star) lines that no other manufacturer has thought to come out with, not Nikon,not Canon,and not Sony. Only the DA* Pentax lenses have the heavy-duty water sealing.

Whats wrong with Canon?

While the 7D is nice, I'd prefer to get a 40D or 50D for less and pick up a nice L lens instead of just the nice body.

D90, I have it and it rocks. Kicks Pentax ass any day.

Whats wrong with Canon?

While the 7D is nice, I'd prefer to get a 40D or 50D for less and pick up a nice L lens instead of just the nice body.

Hmmm, great idea.

For a matter of fact, I'd actually prefer to grab an original 5d of craigslist for around $1000 and then get a good walkaround lens.

Depending on how far you want to push your budget and what you want to shoot, will determine what to buy. Need some zoom? 50D for ~800 with a Canon 70-200mm f/4 will bring you under 1500. Maybe you like landscapes? Grab a 50d or 5d with the Tokina 11-16mm. For a walkaround or portraits I'd personally go with a 40d with 50mm 1.4 + (fill in general walkaroudn lens).

Ok, enough of my useless babble...

Most reactions

Back