Advice on new Lens

AndrewCanon6D

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I, admittedly, love new toys and new gadgets. There are a lot of times that I spend money on something new because it is new not because I really need it.

With that said, I recently had an idea for trading in or maybe even a couple of my lenses to get an upgrade. Wanted to see what other people thought.

Here is my current lens lineup:
Canon 6D

Canon 17-35mm f2.8L: An old lens I bought off of Craigslist. I mainly use it for landscapes.
Canon 24-105mm f4L: The lens that came with my 6D. I like it because it provides a wide zoom range. I use it when I am going out shooting but I don't know what I am going to shoot that day. The funny thing about it is that when I look at my photos with it, they are mostly taken at 24mm or 105mm

Canon 35mm f1.4L
Canon 50mm f1.4
Canon 85mm f1.2L
Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro: These are my go to lenses for portraits, weddings, engagement sessions, macro, etc.

I also have a Canon t2i with a Canon EF-S 18-135 and Tamron EF-S mount 10-24. This was what I learned on, but haven't used in probably around 2 years.

What I have been considering is trading in the EF-S 18-135, the Tamron EF-S 10-24 (neither of these work on my 6D) and the Canon 24-105 for a Canon 135 f2L. I think that I would be able to do a pretty even trade of those 3 lenses (2 I don't use anymore), and maybe even make a little bit of money on them for that trade? I'm not sure exactly how the financials would work out but I think it would be pretty close.

The advantage would be that I would have a wide variety of fast prime lenses (35, 50, 85, 100, 135) to choose from. The 135 would work much better for any action/sports shots than the 24-105. And I would still have my late 90's 17-35 for shooting landscapes.

The disadvantage is that I would lose the flexibility of the 24-105. I wouldn't really have a lens to take out with me when I didn't know what I was going to shoot. I would have to decide to either have a wide angle lens or choose a certain focal length before leaving.

Sorry for the long winded post. I don't have the money currently to buy the 135 without trading in the 24-105, so I have been debating for awhile if this would be a good idea for me or not. I appreciate any thoughts or advice!

I, admittedly, love new toys and new gadgets. There are a lot of times that I spend money on something new because it is new not because I really need it.

With that said, I recently had an idea for trading in or maybe even a couple of my lenses to get an upgrade. Wanted to see what other people thought.

Here is my current lens lineup:
Canon 6D

Canon 17-35mm f2.8L: An old lens I bought off of Craigslist. I mainly use it for landscapes.
Canon 24-105mm f4L: The lens that came with my 6D. I like it because it provides a wide zoom range. I use it when I am going out shooting but I don't know what I am going to shoot that day. The funny thing about it is that when I look at my photos with it, they are mostly taken at 24mm or 105mm

Canon 35mm f1.4L
Canon 50mm f1.4
Canon 85mm f1.2L
Canon 100mm f2.8L Macro: These are my go to lenses for portraits, weddings, engagement sessions, macro, etc.

I also have a Canon t2i with a Canon EF-S 18-135 and Tamron EF-S mount 10-24. This was what I learned on, but haven't used in probably around 2 years.

What I have been considering is trading in the EF-S 18-135, the Tamron EF-S 10-24 (neither of these work on my 6D) and the Canon 24-105 for a Canon 135 f2L. I think that I would be able to do a pretty even trade of those 3 lenses (2 I don't use anymore), and maybe even make a little bit of money on them for that trade? I'm not sure exactly how the financials would work out but I think it would be pretty close.

The advantage would be that I would have a wide variety of fast prime lenses (35, 50, 85, 100, 135) to choose from. The 135 would work much better for any action/sports shots than the 24-105. And I would still have my late 90's 17-35 for shooting landscapes.

The disadvantage is that I would lose the flexibility of the 24-105. I wouldn't really have a lens to take out with me when I didn't know what I was going to shoot. I would have to decide to either have a wide angle lens or choose a certain focal length before leaving.

Sorry for the long winded post. I don't have the money currently to buy the 135 without trading in the 24-105, so I have been debating for awhile if this would be a good idea for me or not. I appreciate any thoughts or advice!

I believe most use the 135 f/2 L for portraits (great bokeh!) I'm not sure if the 135 f2 is the best or appropriate lens for action/sports particularly at that focal range. Fast primes are desirable if you shoot a lot of low light situations but a 70-200 2.8 could be more versatile for many things - sports, events, etc. I would definitely sell off the crop only lens and camera and put the proceeds into full frame lens

Most reactions

New Topics

Back