Affordable zoom lens - Nikon

or the 24-85mm F3.5-4.5 VR can be find uses for cheap.
Another vote for the Nikon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 VR, used to own this lens, very sharp, not big and will work well on both the D3100 and D610, get it used, there are plenty of these lenses out there, you can get it around 300$ used.
Bought mine used and sold it for about same price.
OP already owns that lens. See post # 11

must be more specific when asking for a lens suggestion then... zoom means 10-24 or 24-85 or 70-300 or 150-600.

Last edited:
Get a used Nikon 18-200 VR II for your D3100. The image quality is pretty decent for what it is.

Before offering advice on a lens I have to ask what "wildlife" means to you. All wildlife is not created equally.

For me it is cougars, bears, generally black bears, some grizzly, bison, eagles, and elk in New Mexico. When shooting most of these species I don't go out without at least 400mm on my camera body. If you are filling a view finder with a black bear with anything less than 400mm on your camera, you are offering yourself as the entree for the wildlife buffet.

A big portion of shooting wildlife is knowing, and understanding what you are shooting. It also defines you needs for lenses.

Still shopping. I'm keeping my eye out for a VR lens. ain differences when comparing these please:

Nikon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 VR,
55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR.

As far as wildlife goes... I live in the Southern interior of British Columbia. We have almost everything here....I get within 100 yards of everything at some point or another. I'm not targeting any particular species.

Before offering advice on a lens I have to ask what "wildlife" means to you. All wildlife is not created equally.

For me it is cougars, bears, generally black bears, some grizzly, bison, eagles, and elk in New Mexico. When shooting most of these species I don't go out without at least 400mm on my camera body. If you are filling a view finder with a black bear with anything less than 400mm on your camera, you are offering yourself as the entree for the wildlife buffet.

A big portion of shooting wildlife is knowing, and understanding what you are shooting. It also defines you needs for lenses.

Still shopping. I'm keeping my eye out for a VR lens. ain differences when comparing these please:

Nikon 24-85mm 3.5-4.5 VR,
55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR.

As far as wildlife goes... I live in the Southern interior of British Columbia. We have almost everything here....I get within 100 yards of everything at some point or another. I'm not targeting any particular species.
I'd look at a 70-300mm rather than the 55-300. The 70-300's usually get better reviews, from what I understand the 55's at least from what I've read don't auto focus as fast and tend to be generally regarded has having a lower image quality.

I've shot both the tamron and the nikkor 70-300mm vc and vr respectively, I can tell you both are excellent lenses.

Sent from my N9518 using Tapatalk

Most reactions

New Topics

Back