What's new

Amatuer Photographer Photos - Comment and Critique Needed

.SimO.

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jun 22, 2012
Messages
258
Reaction score
28
Location
Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I would like opinions on the composition, lighting and the subjects. What was liked about the shot and what could be improved on.

A little background, I've been reading, practicing and participating in events with a DSLR(Canon T3i) for almost a year now(January 2012) and would like feedback on the likes and dislikes. I have always been fascinated with photography and take this hobby of mine seriously so input from everyone is highly requested. I mostly do photography of apparel and animals so these shots were out of my comfort zone. All the images were taken with my Sigma 17-50 except for "3.GF shot" which was taken with my Canon 50 1.4. Hope to receive great feedback on things I can work on and look forward to showing future images.

1. B&W/People - Philly Fashion Week - Took a different approach instead of doing the expected shots at the end of the runway.
$8023367207_a47f918af7_c.webp

2. Military - Exercise Event, Virginia
$7894638902_910e623e1a_c.webp

3. People - GF shot
$476294_10150557912846525_1020207650_o.webp

4. Landscape - Waggoners Gap, PA
$48222_10151021500451525_1792377569_o.webp

5. Cityscape - Taken from inside at Loews Hotel, Philadelphia PA
$332176_10151017502656525_197092232_o.webp

6. Animals - "Rockman" one of four Chihuahua's that we own.
$470459_10150630862851525_738548291_o.webp
 
Last edited:
Nice show of all your different styles! its pretty late and I'm about to go to bed but I can't see any faults with any apart from the GF one, I'm not a fan of that tone, it looks way too red :/
 
Nice show of all your different styles! its pretty late and I'm about to go to bed but I can't see any faults with any apart from the GF one, I'm not a fan of that tone, it looks way too red :/

Yes, I totally understand. This was prior to having a flash and utilizing the room lights available and trying to make a "warmer" mood, lol. Much appreciated!!
 
Nice show of all your different styles! its pretty late and I'm about to go to bed but I can't see any faults with any apart from the GF one, I'm not a fan of that tone, it looks way too red :/

I'm also not a fan of that vignetting. And since that image, I have been working on correcting white balance and doing less post processing.
 
i could not see the first two images; i liked the cityscape very much; others are good too :D
 
i could not see the first two images; i liked the cityscape very much; others are good too :D

I think I fixed them now. Let me know if they all show up as attachments. I attempted to pull them from Flikr account but I must have done something incorrectly. Sadly, coming from a computer guy lol.

Thanks for your feedback, Frequency.
 
Nice combination of images. I'd say, for an "amateur", you're pretty good. Not much to criticise that will give you massive leaps of improvement - you're already past that. Now you're in the incremental phase - honing and polishing, rather than hewing and slashing. Just a note: you tend to place the subject in the (lower) left part of the image (see #2,3,4,6). #1 was very well exposed, but I feel that a bit more space on the right would have given the image a bit more balance. As for the last one, while I recognise that you grabbed an opportunity, it would have been even better if a bit more light on your dog's face was present - but sometimes you have to work with what you have.
 
Nice combination of images. I'd say, for an "amateur", you're pretty good. Not much to criticise that will give you massive leaps of improvement - you're already past that. Now you're in the incremental phase - honing and polishing, rather than hewing and slashing. Just a note: you tend to place the subject in the (lower) left part of the image (see #2,3,4,6). #1 was very well exposed, but I feel that a bit more space on the right would have given the image a bit more balance. As for the last one, while I recognise that you grabbed an opportunity, it would have been even better if a bit more light on your dog's face was present - but sometimes you have to work with what you have.

Ah, much appreciated. I definitely understand what you are saying regarding the lower left being my go to spot. For some reason, when I compose an image, I create an imaginary block and do exactly that, pick from the lower left corner. I'll have to work on that. It's almost every time when I shoot in landscape orientation. I will definitely have to work harder on composition and maybe pick up another book and do some more reading. And the animal shot, I agree with you. I definitely should have prepped a couple more seconds to bump up the available light such as open the curtain more. It was definitely one of those, "do i want to chance and wake the dog up" lol. Thanks for your input!!
 
Philly Fashion is just a lovely photo!!!! Waggoner's Gap, PA on the other hand, is quite dull as a landscape.
 
Philly Fashion is just a lovely photo!!!! Waggoner's Gap, PA on the other hand, is quite dull as a landscape.

Thanks Derrel. Yes, I was going to create a thread regarding taking trips for landscape shots. I drove out of my way to go to this location and unfortunately it was cloudy, foggy and starting to rain. So the original composition I wanted in the image didn't get to happen. I plan on going back soon on a great day but not before I do some more reading on peak times along with local weather, lol. Thanks for your comments!
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom