An encounter in the garden

Roger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
mrlowlight.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I came across this statue today in a garden, shot it with my infrared camera and processed as a platinotype b&w.
216672157-L.jpg

Well it doesn't look too far off from a proper platinotype, but I'm not wild about the shot itself.

The face reminds me of the cowardly lion in the Wizard of Oz.

You'll have to forgive my skepticism of post-processing techniques that emulate alt- film processes. Yes, it looks like a platinotype, but it doesn't require the same kind or amount of work that goes into making a real one. Upping the contrast and turning everything cyan doesn't exactly make a cyanotype either if you get what I'm saying.

Max next thing you'll be hauling out that old chestnut, 'you're not a real photographer unless you shoot film and spend many hours in the darkroom' lol.

Max next thing you'll be hauling out that old chestnut, 'you're not a real photographer unless you shoot film and spend many hours in the darkroom' lol.
If you can't make it happen with a roll of 110 then you're not worth your salt! :lol:

This isn't about dogma. Platinotype is a chemical process. It's not defined by the way it looks, but by the presence of platinum on the paper's surface. Similarly, there are lots of way to imitate the look of a lith print, but photoshop doesn't do that flipping insane chain reaction justice. That goes for nearly all contact printing processes as well.

My point is that prints made with those processes are particularly interesting and valuable precisely because of the physical process of making them.

Max I realise the process produces individualised results depending upon how the chemical reaction takes and the time involved....and yes the skill of the creator. Taking digital photos and processing them in photoshop produces some interesting and enjoyable results. Also the amount of work done in PS can be just as creative and time consuming as darkroom work and just as valid.

Most reactions

Back