An Old DSLR Makes a Point

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by photoflyer, Apr 25, 2020.

1. photoflyer

photoflyer TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Last year I ran across a Canon 30D with two batteries and a charger for $50 at Goodwill that looked like it had never been used. I believe this series was introduced in 2006? It is 8 megapixels.

This weekend I decided that as I have accumulated five bodies and several lenses that overlap, I would take the 30D along with a 18-55 EF/S and 70-300 EF Mark II the (newest version) and leave them at a rustic little cabin we have here on a lake in Central VA so I would not have to lug gear back and forth for every visit.

Yesterday I got a shot of a Downy Woodpecker plucking dinner out of log (we leave the woods wild to cultivate wildlife).

My wife really liked the shot and it got me to thinking about what I have been telling a friend who wants to upgrade his gear: invest more in glass first. The 70-300 EF Mark II at $500 is in my experience a middle tier Canon lens, a good value and head and shoulders above the 70-300 EF/S that Canon includes as a consumer kit lens (I've had one). For comparison I also have two L series zooms. To me it shows that a fifteen year old body with decent, not even the best, glass can produce good results.

I am frequently asked for advice, like many of you, regarding camera body selection and I always turn that conversation into a what I think is more important: glass.

2020-04-24.jpg

• Like Like x 8
  2. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    Good glass reallllly pays dividends.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. photoflyer

Photos OK to edit
    I just realized it is a Hairy and not a Downy Woodpecker. There are many on this forum who know the difference.

4. dxqcanada

dxqcanada Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I agree ... the IQ of the lens makes a big difference. I have gone through many lenses, and going from a "kit" level telephoto zoom to a higher end G (Sony) made a huge difference in the image.
    I would still be using my older model camera if it wasn't for BIF.

... and yes, it is a Hairy cause the beak is long. Downy have very short stubby beaks.

5. Original katomi

Original katomi TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos NOT OK to edit
    From what I have seen here and real world once photographers get good glass they don’t change
    Camera bodies come and go, good glass seems to not change.
    I use crop canon but from day 1 I have bought EF glass, l series if I could, knowing that it will fit my crop sensor camera and future proofing if I ever upgrade/move on to a FF body.
    As for old bodies I have a 50d tucked away, that I use for those “risky” shots, that could end up damaging the camera.

6. photoflyer

Photos OK to edit
    Funny, I have a 50D I use for the same purpose. It is built like a tank, has some level of water sealing, and still has competitive image quality. Unless I drop it overboard from the kayak, I think I will have it for a while.

7. Designer

Designer Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    Depth, contrast, clairity, color rendition! This lens is outstanding.

8. daveo228i

daveo228i TPF Noob!

Good glass + good technique = great pictures. All a camera body does is hold a memory card or film and provides an attachment for a lens.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

9. photo53

photo53 TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I had a 30D,, I don,t think it ever took a bad photo no matter what lens I put on it. That photo of the Hairy is fantastic.

10. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Very good bird shot......

11. photoflyer

Photos OK to edit
    I'm sure your skill and knowledge helped too. Those are also important factors.

12. daveo228i

daveo228i TPF Noob!

It’s glass, glass, then the body. I first began in the ‘80’s with my Canon AE-1 program. I was indoctrinated that the body was all important. Conversely the lenses I bought were all third party, Tamron, Sigma. Ok lenses if you weren’t particular about the final product. Over the years, with lots of practice, I learned to disregard the body hype. For me it has been prime lenses and manufacturers tele lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro