Anarchy at the March 26 London Protests

skeen

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all,

I had an intense day at the London protests on Saturday. I took over 1,200 photos, but I've compiled a collection based on the anarchist activities which took place on the day.

Here are 5 images, but there are 22 in total which you can see here. This is one of my first forays into photojournalism, and it's something that I'd really like to get into.

I'd love for your advice and constructive criticism.

-- by paulµ43, on Flickr
A member of an anarchist group lights a coloured smoke bomb and parades around London's Oxford Street, which had been closed off earlier by protest group, UK Uncut.

-- by paulµ43, on Flickr
Protestors make a bonfire of their Trojan Horse in the middle of London's Oxford Street.

-- by paulµ43, on Flickr
A member of an anarchist group shouts profanities as bonfires burn just oustide of Hyde Park.

-- by paulµ43, on Flickr
Riot police barracade Jermyn Street following bonfires and vandalism. Just moments later they would charge forward in an effort to thwart anarchist activity.

-- by paulµ43, on Flickr
Riot police stand in front of Jermyn Street, blocking access while bonfires burn behind.

These are superb! Did you know the guy with the smoke bomb, or didn't he mind you crouching down in front of him?!

From some of the footage it looks like there were more L series lenses than protestors at this march.

These are superb! Did you know the guy with the smoke bomb, or didn't he mind you crouching down in front of him?!

No, I didn't know him. I guess I didn't think about it all that much - I saw him marching, and decided I wanted to get this shot...ran in front of him, crouched down, pressed the shutter. I did this kind of thing pretty much all day, and I think it afforded me some unique images.

From some of the footage it looks like there were more L series lenses than protestors at this march.

You're not far off. I've never seen so many photographers before. With that in mind, I worked my ass off to get as many great shots as I could.

You're not far off. I've never seen so many photographers before. With that in mind, I worked my ass off to get as many great shots as I could.

It's a conspiracy. They started the riots so that they could use their gear! :lol:

I was really saddened to see this stand-off. I hope they'll be able to reach an agreement soon. With regards to your photos, I think you did a great job capturing the intensity of the protest. I like the second photo. Overall, these are nice pieces for your first foray in photojournalism.

The smoke bomb shot is amazing! You definitely took a chance getting right in there in the chaos however it payed off. Congrats!

1st rate photo journalism. I hope you tried to sell them.

With regards to your photos, I think you did a great job capturing the intensity of the protest. I like the second photo. Overall, these are nice pieces for your first foray in photojournalism.

Thanks so much :)

The smoke bomb shot is amazing! You definitely took a chance getting right in there in the chaos however it payed off. Congrats!

I just tried to be everywhere. I didn't have the luxury of a huge telephoto zoom, either; so I had to just get stuck in.

1st rate photo journalism. I hope you tried to sell them.

Wow, thanks. I actually did try to upload them to Demotix that night, but the site was being so slow and buggy; it was quite a disappointing and frustrating experience. But oh well.

Good stuff, love the last 2 gives them an old school look.

Nice work. #2 and #3 don't work for me composition wise, but kudos for getting out there are getting some great shots. I like how you close you are in #2, but I think the guy should be on the right as he is facing the left...

Nice work. #2 and #3 don't work for me composition wise, but kudos for getting out there are getting some great shots. I like how you close you are in #2, but I think the guy should be on the right as he is facing the left...
Thanks for the feedback :) I agree about the guy looking left; I actually have another shot of this, but it doesn't express the emotion as well.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back