Another good photo, and disappointing scan.

Bobby Ironsights

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
But I might as well show my work, to avoid closet-isis, a dread disease characterized by working in isolation, without the benefit of peer review.

It's just saddening to see a decent print out of the darkroom, and then the digital (blurry) results that come out of my el-cheapo flatbed.

In the print, the middle stone is tack sharp, and there is highlight detail, even in the whited out grass. The caption below reads, Asleep till Jesus Second Coming.

babington.jpg

i'd go for a slightly tighter crop on that stone.
other then that, i think its good

You know, I was thinking of that, (taking a bit off of either side, when matting the print)

It's supposed to highlight a fairly shallow depth of field , there is also some loss of artistic merit when the stone to the left has legible inscribing on it.

It was shot @f4.5 with a 50mm prime IIRC. Just a plastic fantastic f1.8 prime though, not a nice and tight f1.4 prime :wink:

i like the focus on this one. i think it's good , but i too also think that a crop could help show the main object better in the frame. i would always try to do something with the big tombstone infront of the image which is not in focus - it bothers the eye and it's a bit stuck.

i do like the shades and the scene looks great, creepy but peaceful. :D

ii too also think that a crop could help show the main object better in the frame. i would always try to do something with the big tombstone infront of the image which is not in focus - it bothers the eye and it's a bit stuck.

i do like the shades and the scene looks great, creepy but peaceful. :D

Hmm

Well, I've got to go back to shoot it, the negative on this one, is damaged, besides, it's only 35mm, why not shoot it 4x5 now that I've got it eh?

Perhaps I'll try a shot with the front tombstone out, and compare.

I'm glad you think it's creepy, but peaceful, that was the intent.

It is...after all...a children's cemetary.

I like this shot. Run us through the settings on your scanner and we may be able to help. If you do re shoot try a couple with the sun hitting the tombstone.

Love & Bass

I think that perhaps you're scanning incorrectly. If this isn't already part of your workflow, make sure to turn off all of your scanning software's automatic functions. This includes dust/noise removal, USM, exposure compensation, etc. Do it manually in PS instead and you'll end up with a much better quality digital image (provided your PP skills are strong).

i would totatly crop the picture untill the first grave hits the button of it ,
anyway i realy like the mood you have been able to create here .
:)

Most reactions

Back