Another new guy

CharlzO2k

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone, just stumbled into the forum and thought what better way to get started, than to introduce myself even though there's not much to tell. I'm from upstate NY, and here's my abbreviated photo history:

Years ago, fresh out of high school in which I took a basic photography class, I was given the chance to take photos of the local race track. But anyone that knows dirt track fans, they aren't picky about quality, so my new Canon EOS Rebel XS 35mm (brand new from Service Merchandise the beginning of '97 I think?) was set to auto, and snapped away. Sadly, a cat knocked it off the shelf a couple years later, destroying the kit lens it came with and since the zoom wasn't as easy to use day to day (and it was film, after all), it got put aside and I hadn't touched a real camera since. Always little point and shoots that would last about a year, and cell phones.

A few years back, I decided I wanted another decent camera for toying with, and picked up a Canon T3 kit from Walmart since it was readily available. My main decision was that the older zoom lens was still compatible (who would've thought after all those years!). I really didn't do much with it. A few family functions where I'd take some group pictures, some car shots, and so on. I tried learning the basics of exposure and lights, but never really pushed hard into it.

Fast-forward now, and I have a new girlfriend who has said she wanted to learn photography and get something nice to use, and expressed an interest in even doing a private boudoir shoot between ourselves for fun. Well that was all the reason I needed to go out and pick up a T6i kit, with a 55-250 and then compliment that with a 50mm f1.8 as well. I've been digging a LOT deeper into the techniques and learning, and have picked up other accessories (a Yongnuo speedlight, stands, umbrellas, softboxes, etc). If I'm gonna do it, and try to teach her along the way, might as well go big (on a budget), right? Gave my son the T3 to use for college (as well as letting him use the Rebel XS, go figure they need an SLR for the other course anyway).

So that's where I'm at. I'm slowly getting there with some things, but more will come with practice when we are finding time. We love the outdoors and doing things, but I admit a lot of times we get too caught up enjoying life and the moments, and don't take nearly as many pictures. But it's a hobby, not a job, so I'll take real-life living it with her over catching a still picture, any day.

Other hobbies include sailing, working on cars, computers, gadgets, sports, pretty much anything, really. But I'm anxious to soak up all the knowledge I can and enjoy the criticism of others.

Welcome aboard. Pay no attention to the clown ^

lol She's buying the outfits she wants to use next weekend. And we have a mountain getaway in a cabin in NC scheduled for the first weekend in October, so they should be ready soon enough :)

Welcome to the forum.

lol She's buying the outfits she wants to use next weekend. And we have a mountain getaway in a cabin in NC scheduled for the first weekend in October, so they should be ready soon enough :)

Did you consider she's buying outfits for you to wear and use, while she practiced her photo skills?? :345:

Welcome! What part of upstate are you in?

Just curious, I live between Buffalo and Rochester!

If I'm gonna do it, and try to teach her along the way, might as well go big (on a budget), right?
Welcome!

Gear helps, certainly, but don't overlook the basics.

Did you consider she's buying outfits for you to wear and use, while she practiced her photo skills?? :345:

When she first told me she wanted to do some of those shots, my first thought was "I do hope you mean with you as the model, because it's not gonna be pretty the other way around!". But, she was at least correct in her assumption that I can't wait to see her choices!

Welcome! What part of upstate are you in?

Just curious, I live between Buffalo and Rochester!

I'm down in Bainbridge, tiny little down about halfway between Binghamton, and Onteona along I-88, and about an hour and a half south of Syracuse. I'll actually be up in Buffalo on Nov 17th for a concert

Most reactions

New Topics

Back