Another newbie looking for CC-please!

Jifferz

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey everyone,

So I just recently decided to take up photography & have been trying to learn as much as I can by browsing this forum, doing online research & reading the book Understanding Exposure. I purchased my camera about a week ago, read the manual & took it out for some hands on experience, as I felt like I had a pretty good grasp of things. Well, let's just say that even after reading all that info, when I got out there I still felt like I had no idea what the hell I was doing, lol.

Anyways, I decided my best bet besides to keep practicing/reading was to post some photos so I can get feedback from people who know what they're doing. I'm sure there is a ton wrong with these, I just need to learn what. So CC away & please give me the down & dirty truth becuz I'm here to improve! BTW these were all taken with a Canon T1i & 18-55mm kit lens. Thanx so much! :D

#1.
IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0103.jpg

IMG_0145.jpg

IMG_0239.jpg

For a first go at it, I think you did a great job. Keep practicing, and you'll be getting some very nice shots.

The shots all look excellent even though you say you don't know what you're doing :p

With the second shot though, I'd increase DOF, keeping more in focus by making the aperture a larger f-number.

For first shots, those are pretty good. Number 1 and 4 are my favorite. Number 4 is the best. It's almost like he's looking up thinking, "If I can shoot it right up through there.."
Keep it up, you're headed in the right direction.

Great job, keep it up. Dog and baby is too cute.

Nice pics!

A slightly larger f stop would have brought the entire dog's face in focus on the first shot and it would have been a lot better. Pretty much the same goes for the other ones.

Thank you all so much for your compliments & feedback, I will definitely take your advice!

What about the sky in the background of # 3 & 4, is it too blown out & how would I go about fixing that? Should I meter the sky or will that underexpose my subject? I haven't quite figured out the PP yet so I'm trying to get them as good as I can in camera.

Ps: I've realized that my dog is a lot easier of a subject to shoot than my son....it took forever to get that shot of him in the tree & his facial expression was just pure luck :blushing:

Try to become more aware of objects in the background.
Try different angles to remove them ... or get a closer shot.

Flower exposure is OK ... not much you can do with very bright backgrounds.
Try not to have bright sky as the background ... as I mentioned above ... try a different angle.

Great first attempt! Be mindful of your focus points. Normally for animal (and people) photos, you want to get the eyes spot on focus.

-Andy

Try to work on these factors.
Focusing on the eyes, if shut then face.
Be at their level, good job at this.
Try not to cut off body parts, exceptions do occur.
Watch the background, keep distractions in the shot simple as possible.
If its a beautiful background then a greater DOF, if not then a shorter DOF.
On the flower a closer angle or crop would eliminate alot of the distracting background.
Good shot of your son.
Keep it up and keep posting:thumbup:

This is exactly what I was looking for, you guys are awesome! I will keep working on it & look forward to posting more in the future. In the meantime I will try to view the world through my viewfinder as much as possible :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back