Any dog owners who can help?

Mustlovedragons

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Ok, I am officially feeling lower than dirt right now. I broke my cardinal rule and had one of my baby's fixed today (male). He won't move. He won't eat. He won't drink. I tried to give him pain meds in hamburger and he wouldn't do it. I had to put it in the back of his throat. He is normally so "peppy" (like Jack Russell peppy, not even kiddin') but he is just laying there, looking at me like I am Jack the Ripper.

Being that it's a Friday and the vet is closed on weekends without answering service, I am wondering if this is normal and hope one of you can tell me.

It isn't abnormally swollen, I guess (meaning its a little swollen but not red and not even as swollen as I had anticipated). He isn't throwing up. When I took him outside (carried) he did go both. I just am not used to seeing him all lethargic (and those LOOKS...he's killin' me with the guilt, here).

Is this normal?

Yeah, my dog hated me for about a week, then he got over it. But after I fixed him he was afraid of the vet for a very long time.

Here is some good info:

How to Care for Dogs After Neutering Surgery: Signs a Dog's Surgical Incision is Infected, Care After an Operation

"Some dogs will eat the night after their neutering surgery, while others will refuse the food. Upset stomach is common after general anesthesia. Offering a bland homemade dog food such as plain, skinless chicken or boiled hamburger with rice can encourage the dog to eat and this meal has the benefit of being easy on the stomach."

And good luck. Hope the little fellow is okay.

I actually have a jack russell and he seemed quite depressed after the surgery. Next day it was a bit better, and maybe after 3-4 days he was back to his normal, crazy self.

DAMNIT!! Yet another fail in the "Google is your friend" dept". I hate when I am smacked upside the head with the obvious, lol. Thank you! (and to both for responding)

As I started typing this, a commercial for blackberry came on - something about Moby Dick. I thought that was funny.

I hope the little buckeroo gets well soon. It must be traumatic, but I think he has a good caregiver.

Sadly, this is normal and I know this is hard for you to watch but he will get back to normal. Don't worry, in time he will be just fine and his old peppy self.

i would feel like **** too if i had my balls chopped off

Which is EXACTLY why I have always been adamantly opposed to doing this procedure on some helpless creature who can't consent to it (with the RARE exception, such as this, of (necessity dictates").

As for everyone else, he is talking to me, again, so all is good. He is even more spoiled than before, if that's possible.

Which is EXACTLY why I have always been adamantly opposed to doing this procedure on some helpless creature who can't consent to it (with the RARE exception, such as this, of (necessity dictates").

As for everyone else, he is talking to me, again, so all is good. He is even more spoiled than before, if that's possible.

hehe, if you have one dog is not that bad, you can do without,
but im my case, i have 2 cocker spaniels, even fixed, they really seems like they like each other haha.
I would have been grand father of 20 puppies by now.

Hun Im a vet tech, and its normal for them to be lethargic and pout but generally it doesn't last long. Swelling too is normal but not that much. I not sure the way they neutered him there if it was a complete of if they left the testicular sack behind but watch that for large amounts of swelling or any signs of redness or streaking redness and heat. If he goes off food,water thats not normal and I would be concerned after 24 hours of refusing to eat/drink.

Edit, glad to hear he's up and at it again. Just noticed your reply. And don't feel guilty about neutering him. Feel good about the unwanted puppies you have saved. Millions of animals get euthanized every year. Listen to good old Bob Barker. :p He knows his ****. :sexywink:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back