Anyone out there still read books?

anicole said:
OH YES SHE IS!!! :mrgreen:

i'm sorry, who pulled your leash???? :mrgreen:

i gotta admit, i probably read two books a week...if its an average week..and nothing going on....
anicole reads much more...or used to... (thinking teenagers and preteen children keep her to busy to read as much any more..... :D )

I suppose I'm among the 'un-intelligent readers'....My favorite is Stephen King. I'm currently reading "The Girl who loved Tom Gordon"

aprilraven said:
i'm sorry, who pulled your leash???? :mrgreen:

:er:
Aren't we frisky today? Must be all the protein and good ol' home cookin'. :D

aprilraven said:
anicole reads much more...or used to... (thinking teenagers and preteen children keep her to busy to read as much any more..... :D )

:grumpy: STOP making me sound old :grumpy:

Just finished Catch "22" and gotto say thats one of the best...

am now reading High Fadelity, so for those who have read it will understand a small joke there with the top 5 thing.

umm..

1.catch "22"
2. Series of Hitchikers Guide
and...High Fadeluity, cause I havent red it.

I also like the Artemis fowl series ;)

core_17 said:
I suppose I'm among the 'un-intelligent readers'....My favorite is Stephen King. I'm currently reading "The Girl who loved Tom Gordon"

no such thing as unintelligent readers, or intelligent books, just different styles/taste

although i consider people who read books simply because they think it's intelligent to be pretentious dicks :)

Some Favs..

L.O.R. + the Hobbit - Tolkien

Narnia - CS Lewis

Aragon & Eldest - Christopher Paolini (Absolutely amazing if u like LOR type and the auther started 1st of trilogy at 16!!

Black, Red, White, Blink,Three (spent most of last Thu in bookstore w/ Three...read the whole thing in one sitting, not cuz it's sooooo good, just wanted an escape) - Ted Dekker

Wild at Heart, Waking the Dead, Epic - John Eldredge

The Great Divorce - CS Lewis

That old compilation of 52 (I think) Books by different ppl from long ago.

I love to read, but don't find the time to do so much, and also don't keep books around too much that I really wanna read or else I get lost in em' - not that that's bad sometimes, just tends to get in the way of me gettin my hectic schedule done.

This is a good thread...interesting to see what y'all read!

clemeys said:
Narnia - CS Lewis
Black, Red, White, Three - Ted Dekker

(Can't quite say whether or not Thr3e is one of my favourites. I am not certain at the end whether I was in awe of how I was 'tricked' the whole way through, or if I was just frustrated :lol: )

As well as someone mentioned Great Expectations.

I apologize, everyone keeps mentioing so many books that I have read many times over. For something individual, my childhood favourite was Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls.

Used to be an avid reader but now I find it hard to sit and read a book, when I have idle time I'm usually on here or surfing elsewhere on the net.

Some that have truly gotten beyond my eyes and tugged on my heart as if the characters were real ppl whom I love....

'Tully' - Paullina Simons

'The Bronze Horseman' - Paullina Simons ( oh man, that book had me reading the last page saying "Oh wow... Nooooo, it CANT end here...! " and racing for the computer to find out if there was going to be a follow-up book.)

' The Bride to Holy Cross' - Paullina Simons ( and yes, this is a follw up to the above book).

'Tandia'- Bryce Courtney ( the guy who wrote 'The Power of One'...simply amazing man who also wrote a book about his son who died of AIDS ).

'Jessica'- again by Bryce Courtney ( about a young girl growing up in the Australian outback, around the time when the Aus government were kidnapping aboriginal children).

The Mayfair Witches series of books - Anne Rice. ( they didnt tug at my heartstrings but were very pageturning. )

Oh and John, someone was telling me all about the book you mentioned in your post above; ' Perfume'. He said it's a wonderful book.

Peanuts said:
(Can't quite say whether or not Thr3e is one of my favourites. I am not certain at the end whether I was in awe of how I was 'tricked' the whole way through, or if I was just frustrated :lol: )

I'm w/ u Peanuts...total suprise...was kinda frustrated too, but still a great book!

JohnMF said:
i
Just finished Perfume by Patrick Suskind, which is abit weird but brilliant story and beautifully wrote.

I still think The Godfather by Mario Puzo is classic

Love 1984, but could never get more that halfway through Catch 22 without losing interest, and ive tried several times :(

I read Perfume also and thought it was a good read. And, I totally am in the same boat when it comes to Catch-22. I just cannot get into it.

I'm currently reading The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood which so far is keeping me interested. I just finished How to Be Good by Nick Hornby. I just love his writing. He cracks me up.

I recently reread The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath because I was feeling down and didn't like it the first time. But, by the second go around I was completely in love with it.

I have also lately been really into historical fiction novels by Phillippa Gregory about tudor England (Henry the VIII and Elizabeth and all that jazz.) She's very good at making that period fascinating.

Oh man, I read so much I can't even begin to tell you all of my favorites. I won't bore you any longer!

Oh, except Tim Sandlin is a very humorous writer. Good for airplane reading.

Luminosity said:
Used to be an avid reader but now I find it hard to sit and read a book, when I have idle time I'm usually on here or surfing elsewhere on the net.
likewise here! :(

AprilRamone said:
I read Perfume also and thought it was a good read. And, I totally am in the same boat when it comes to Catch-22. I just cannot get into it.

I guess you have to have a really dry sense of humor for a book like that :) At least for me, it's been one of the funniest things I've ever read, right from the first page.

Most reactions

Back