Apathy Revealed!

Discussion in 'Just For Fun!' started by Flying Panda, Jul 19, 2019.

1. Flying Panda

Flying Panda No longer a newbie, moving up!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    I was in Winchester Virginia yesterday visiting an old friend. While waiting at a local park (meetup place) I snapped this photo of a woman and her son "Feeding The Waterfowl". :BangHead: In the image she is heading for the waste container to throw away the plastic bag that held an entire loaf of bread.

500_1470 (LR)-F1200x675.jpg

JT

• Like Like x 2
  2. Jeff15

Jeff15 TPF junkie!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    There is always one...............

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Soocom1

Soocom1 No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    one?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Great shot!

5. Ron Evers

Ron Evers Been spending a lot of time on here!

In the country 60km north of Toronto, Canada
    Photos OK to edit
    Obviously they are not wild anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. K9Kirk

K9Kirk Been spending a lot of time on here!

Top Poster Of Month

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Some people never learn the meaning of the words no and illegal. There's a lady down the street that feeds the sandhill cranes on a daily basis. She's been told in the past to NOT DO IT and she understood it … it's why she stands in the shadows of her garage and flicks the bread chunks out through a crack in the garage screen door. I stopped the truck one day and watched her doing it because I'd heard about her so much (the neighborhood talk) and when she noticed me watching she immediately closed the screen door and backed away from it. I truly despise that. I understand she's an old lady and that it gives her pleasure but she could walk to the pond and feed the fish instead.

7. weepete

weepete TPF Supporters Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    "Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools." - Brickhill 1954 ;)

8. Flying Panda

Photos OK to edit
    I know that people "mean well" but with most fowl bread is something that can get clogged in their craw and ferment, even mold - causing the bird to die.

I wish I could have videoed the little boy. He was so comical. He was franticly running around and the geese, about twenty or thirty in number, were chasing him. That is why is is sitting on top of the picnic table.

9. RVT1K

RVT1K No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    I used to work for Sperry on Long Island. Some of the equipment we made required underwater testing and we had a couple of ponds on the property. They were somehow tied into the heating/cooling systems of a couple of the buildings and never froze. Because of this, we had a full-time population of Canadian geese, they never left in the winter. Because we had a full-time population of Canadian geese, I developed a deep hatred for Canadian geese. And don't get me started on pigeons...

10. Granddad

Granddad Been spending a lot of time on here!

Photos OK to edit
    I think a lot of parks discourage feeding ducks, swans and geese because they drop their "deposits" all over the place and there is a real risk of disease. Some also become aggressive beggars scaring children and snatching bread out of their hands... and would be happy to take a finger or two with the bread.. Canada geese in particular have become a real problem here.

On the other hand.... Birds are starving because people are told not to feed them bread, warns Queen's swan guard

11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    We have a really beautiful park here called Clackamette Park, where the Clackamas River enters the large Willamette River. There is a year-round contingent of ducks and geese and pigeons which are fed daily by many people, almost universally with bags of stale bread. With so many permanent year-round ducks and geese, the park is virtually an open air latrine for dozens upon dozens of ducks and geese. Walking through the grass in the park is no longer a viable option, and the concrete and asphalt parking lots and foot paths are also not immune to the problem. However it seems that the birds greatly prefer the grass, so releasing a toddler to walk through it is a fool's errand. Another popular park Blue Lake Park, has had multiple closures with E. coli outbreaks relatively common.

12. Flying Panda

Photos OK to edit

This is a small little park nestled inside a college campus. The sidewalks and grassy areas surrounding the small lake is testament to what everyone above has stated. When we arrived, I walked over to a small inlet on the west side of the lake to take some video of the ducks. What a freaking mess. Before I got back into the car I scraped my shoes on the parking lot pavement to clean them off. These types of problems don't manifest overnight and it seems like it is global. What is wrong with people? :sour: