Aperture 3

Sherm

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello All,

I currently use Aperture 3 for my photo organizing and editing. As a beginner, I believe it has enough capability for me but I am having trouble finding tutorials/articles, on the editing aspect. It seems that it may be easier for me to learn image editing if I switched to Photoshop as the available information is much more robust.

Any feedback about how to learn post-processing? If I did switch would the new Photoshop Elements 10 be adequate?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Check out kelby or linda.com for video tutorials. There are a few dedicated sites give guides such as apertureexpert and others. Have you done a google search for aperture training. Also I'm sure there are books out there

Lightroom is not an image editing program. Sure, you can do a lot to your photos with it...but it's not meant as a replacement or alternative to something like Photoshop.

There is tons of info about Lightroom available. Check these out...
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips « Online Photoshop Lightroom Tutorials and Tips with Matt Kloskowski Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips
Lightroom « Layers Magazine Layers Magazine
Inside Lightroom

If you want to do image editing on a level that is beyond what Lightroom can do, then Photoshop is the ideal software, although it's rather expensive. Check out Photoshop Elements as a cheaper alternative. Lightroom works very well together with either of those.

Big Mike said:
Lightroom is not an image editing program. Sure, you can do a lot to your photos with it...but it's not meant as a replacement or alternative to something like Photoshop.

There is tons of info about Lightroom available. Check these out...
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips « Online Photoshop Lightroom Tutorials and Tips with Matt Kloskowski Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Killer Tips
Lightroom « Layers Magazine Layers Magazine
Inside Lightroom

If you want to do image editing on a level that is beyond what Lightroom can do, then Photoshop is the ideal software, although it's rather expensive. Check out Photoshop Elements as a cheaper alternative. Lightroom works very well together with either of those.

Big Mike, you're the best but he said aperture.

Sent from my iPhone using PhotoForum

I saw Aperture 3 and read Lightroom 3.

Doh!

I use both Elements and Aperture. Aperture is better for me at organizing photographs (well, Elements doesn't do this at all), I actually think it's a slightly better RAW converter than Elements, it's easier to make basic color/contrast enhancements, in my opinion. But I use photoshop for the heavy lifting. For really dramatic edits, either aperture plain won't do them, or is very tedious.

The primary function of both Aperture and Lightroom is image catalog management (database management). What Raw conversion and parametric (non-destructive) image editing capability they both have is secondary.

A limitation of parametric editors is they cannot alter pixels.

That's where a good raster graphics editor, like Photoshop, comes in handy.

The OP has discovered an issue many Mac user's face. Since Apple's line of Mac computers has only had about a 20% market share there are far fewer resources available than what is available to PC users.

The primary function of both Aperture and Lightroom is image catalog management (database management). What Raw conversion and parametric (non-destructive) image editing capability they both have is secondary.

A limitation of parametric editors is they cannot alter pixels.

That's where a good raster graphics editor, like Photoshop, comes in handy.

The OP has discovered an issue many Mac user's face. Since Apple's line of Mac computers has only had about a 20% market share there are far fewer resources available than what is available to PC users.

How is this a Mac issue? Photoshop is available for macs? It might be a mac specialized software issue, but it's certainly not a mac issue.

Most reactions

Back