Aperture, ISO, Shutter Speed - What has 1st priority?

Thanks for all the input guys, very helpful.

If you have a hard time getting your mind wrapped around exposure, there are a few good metaphors.. The window metaphor, hose metaphor, bucket metaphor.. If you google some of these, they may help you conceptualize their relationship.

I'm going to paraphrase Brian Peterson here; There are 6 possible combinations of ISO, shutter speed, and aparture that will result in the correct exposure according to the light meter inside the camera, ONLY one of these is the correct exposure creatively.

To those expierianced photographers who continue to recomend Brian Petersons, Understading Exposure book, thank you. I bought it, and it's well worth whatever you spend on it in the first chapter. So Ballistics, get that book! and you will gain an understanding of the importance of each factor depending on what you want to do.

I think Shutter has priority for me. Here's my thought process usually. (Yes I set the white balance first but that isn't part of the exposure triangle) How clear does the image have to be? When I'm shooting people running, obviously I need a high shutter speed. I set the minimal shutter speed for a clear image. Then I usually just keep the aperture wide open (only when I shoot landscapes do I mess with the aperture), and I crank up the ISO only if the image is still underexposed. ISO is my last resort. If I'm shooting something that isn't moving at all, say in my room where there's really crappy lighting, I will keep the shutter open for 4 seconds straight just so I can keep the ISO at 100.

Taking pictures today, it took me like 30 different combinations before I finally got a good picture and I feel like it has to be easier. Is there a set scenario for certain shutter speeds, ISO, and apertures? In other words, fast shutter speed low iso vs slow shutter speed high iso vs slow shutter speed low iso and so on and so on. I read the tutorial provided in the sticky but it just explains what each does and doesnt go into depth about the combinations and priorities of each.
Here is the correct order.

1. The most important of the exposure triangle to get the shot..

2. The second most important of the exposure triangle to achieve the shot.

3. The least most important of the exposure triangle to get the shot.

This is the one and only correct answer. What you have to learn is not just how Aperture, Shutter Speed and ISO work, but how they effect each other. Then you can visualize the shot and know what order to place them in to acheive that shot.

I will be the second one to recommend Peterson's Understanding Exposure. Go buy it, or get on line and order it. I promise you will not be disappointed. It explains this topic in depth and very well. It also has pictures taken so you can see how the photos change by changing the settings. You also don't have to be an expert to understand the book.

Most reactions

Back