Aperture Priority AE or Shutter Priority AE

inneist

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Some elementary questions here. I did some web search myself, but am still not 100% sure, so I ask:

1. aperture priority AE or shutter priority AE

What do they mean, practically speaking, and what considerations are there in making a choice between them?

2. playback or record mode
Similar question as #1.

3. Is it always desirable to set up a maximum highest shutter speed that the camera can afford? And, (I'm ashamed), how to change shutter speed manually?

4. In my camera, there's an option of "backlight on/off", what function this one serves?

If you know an answer to any of these questions, please do respond. Thanks!

I will take a shot at #1, but the other ones, I think would depend on the camera you have.

Shutter priority: You set the shutter speed, and the camera will adjust the lens opening ( aperture ) for the best exposure. A consideration might be, if you want to freeze action, you would want a faster shutter speed.

Aperture priority: You set the aperture, and the camera will pick the proper shutter speed for correct exposure. Low light could be something to consider, or if you want to control deopth of field.

I will guess that the backlight is for the lcd or whatever, so you can see it in low light. Perhaps it could be for a subject that is lit from the back and for fill in flash. Again, that depends on your camera.

Thanks for your prompt answer, jwkwd. :)

How about this scenario: say we are witnessing some action in low light, then you choose which mode, shutter priority or aperture priority?

I can only guess the Backlight on or off is to change the settings of your LCD display. Backlight just makes it easier to read (depending on the lighting)

Makes sense to me. My camera is a LUMIX FZ-7.

Theoretically, as you ratchet up the shutter speed, what do you lose in the process? Even if there's a loss, can't it be compensated by an adjustment of the aperture for exposure? So in normal lightening situation, should I set up the maximum shutter speed as a default? Oh, sorry if this sounds like a dumb question.

3. Is it always desirable to set up a maximum highest shutter speed that the camera can afford?
No. It depends on what your are trying to capture in your picture. Shutter speed is used for movement effects.
by that I mean:
freezing motion - fast shutter speed
implying motion with blurring - medium shutter speed
creating streaks of light effect - slow shutter speed

This tutorial may help:
http://www.geofflawrence.com/photography_tutorial_shutter_speeds_and_apertures.htm

If you are learning totally alone I think you should buy yourself a book, it will help out a lot.

Basically you would want to use shutter priority if you were photographing action such as sports that way you will get sharp pictures without have to constantly adjust the aperature for the correct exposure. Although you will loose the ability to control your depth of field. When I am shooting nature I tend to use aperature priority so I can control the depth of field and let the camera handle the shutter speed. I use manual whenever possible but if you in an environent that is changing fast I would use one of the other two so I dont miss something while changing both the aperature and shutter speed.

tsienni said:
1. aperture priority AE or shutter priority AE

What do they mean, practically speaking, and what considerations are there in making a choice between them?

The differences between Av and Tv really depend on what you are shooting and how you want to shoot it... I find myself barely every shooting with Tv because I know the limitations per the lighting of my lenses... so I tend to try and adjust the amount of background (or lack of) by running in Av and adjusting by the depth of field needed. The smaller the number IE: f/1.8 - f/2.8 or so the less depth of field... while the larger the number IE: f/8 - f/11 - f/16 the greater the depth of field... basically what happens is when you choose either the shutter or aperture in their corresponding settings the camera will automatically adjust the opposite to set the cameras exposure level to +/-0 (unless you specify a different exposure compensation)

tsienni said:
2. playback or record mode
Similar question as #1.

I am guessing that you have a point and shoot camera by this question... so short and sweet... playback is to look at your pics or video.. record mode is to take the pics or video...

tsienni said:
3. Is it always desirable to set up a maximum highest shutter speed that the camera can afford? And, (I'm ashamed), how to change shutter speed manually?

it really is dependant on your subject... for some things to shoot you have to be very specific on the shutter speeds... for instance if you were an aviation shooter (like I am) you would know you have you have your shutter speed around 1/60-1/100 for helicopters, 1/100-1/160 for fixed wing prop planes, and just about anything for jets... reasoning behind that is so your pictures come out "proper" and you have spun props when it has props... so with all subjects it really matters more if you want to freeze the subject... or if you want some motion blur (or movement)

Hope that helps you out!!

tsienni said:
4. In my camera, there's an option of "backlight on/off", what function this one serves?

I would guess (read your manual to find out for sure) that a "backlight" function may be to deal with back lit subjects, such as a person indoors standing in front of a window (on a bright day). Normally the camera would be fooled by the bright window. Two common ways this sort of function works: some cameras overexpose 1.5 to 2 stops, and with other cameras it activates a spot meter function. You probably want to read the manual (online if you don't have a copy) to make sure you understand how this works, because it can come in handy in other situations too.

ksmattfish, Orgnoi1, D-50, thanks a lot for taking the time to write down the explanations. I have read your posts thoroughly. Also voodoo_child, for the article you recommended. I believe my questions were clearly answered. This morning I took some time to play with my toy camera and would really like to experiment with it on a regular basis from now on. I think I will. :)

There's one more thing on my mind now. Normally if you don't get the shutter speed correct you get the moving object blurred while the stationary background remains intact. Now, I see there's a way to freeze the motion, yet, at the same time, can I ask for more: I intend that the stationary background appears blurred in the same picture. What's the way to achieve this? Previously I accidently had this effect in my pictures, it's by chance though.

tsienni said:
I intend that the stationary background appears blurred in the same picture. What's the way to achieve this? Previously I accidently had this effect in my pictures, it's by chance though.

Pan the camera with the moving subject. The background will blur, and depending on how accurate you pan, your subject will be in focus. Using a flash and "dragging" the shutter, or using a longer shutter speed can help.

Thanks, Matt. I know what you mean. Just that how to make it accurate enough? To me it's purely trial-´n-error. Any tidbits? :)

OK...

"I am just a poem, just a practice poem, just a dummy poem, awaiting the real poem. I could have been another poem, but I am just this poem. ..."

ksmattfish said:
I would guess (read your manual to find out for sure) that a "backlight" function may be to deal with back lit subjects, such as a person indoors standing in front of a window (on a bright day). Normally the camera would be fooled by the bright window. Two common ways this sort of function works: some cameras overexpose 1.5 to 2 stops, and with other cameras it activates a spot meter function. You probably want to read the manual (online if you don't have a copy) to make sure you understand how this works, because it can come in handy in other situations too.
I'd bet this is correct. My camera is the FZ30, pretty close to the FZ7. Mine basically overexposes to get the subject right, and the backlighting is pretty much blown out. I don't think it cares if you're using the flash or not.

Most reactions

Back