Apple Cinema Displays ????

Kwak12r

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi all
I did a quick search and found a few threads but nothing that really answered my questions.
I am looking to get a monitor that will be used to help process my images. I have a MacBook Pro and have calibrated the screen with a Spyder Pro unit. It has really helped but I really would like a larger screen to view/edit on.
Being that I am using Apple I am looking at the Cinema Displays. There is a lot of mixed reviews.
Is anybody using these, if you do can you tell me pros and cons?
Any other monitors that people recommend in terms of accurate color and use for photography? I am not looking for gaming systems or such.

I believe all apple cinema displays are ips panels, witch are the best LCDs for color accuracy, but the response time is inherently slow, so no good for games, but fantastic for photoshop. A while back apple had some very good deals in their refurb section of their site. about $500 for a 20", I haven'nt checked recently but there could be some good ones on there.

Oh, and our graphic designers and video editors at work seem to love them!

I have a 30" and it's great. I have not done careful color calibration as I am not a graphics pro, so I can't help you there.

I am a very big Apple fan. However, if you're on a budget I have heard and read very good things about Dell's 30" monitor which costs significantly less.

I am guessing that you won't get many replies on this particular forum, as the intersection between Macs and photos is fairly limited here. However, I think there's a larger intersection between Mac users who are photographers (as opposed to photographers who are Mac users) and so you may find it useful to post your question over at forums.macrumors.com . They have a gigantic membership base and you are likely to get more responses there.

NEC's IPS monitors are well-reviewed for photo editing (LCD3090WQXi-BK, LCD2690WUXi-BK-SV, LCD2490WUXi-BK-SV, etc.).

I would not limit yourself to the Apple displays. They are not bad, but depending on your budget, they are not the best either. Also look into NEC, Samsung, and Eizo.

I have one of the Cinemas- They are beautiful but very expensive. [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013FMLXK?ie=UTF8&tag=gelstoncafeco-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0013FMLXK"]Amazon.com: Apple LED Cinema Display 24-Inch MB382LL/A: Computers & PC Hardware[/ame].

Take a look at [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013PSOT0?ie=UTF8&tag=gelstoncafeco-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0013PSOT0[/ame]

or [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00139S3U6?ie=UTF8&tag=gelstoncafeco-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00139S3U6[/ame]

Last edited:
Warning about the 24" ... I'm pretty sure they ONLY work with the very new, <1-month-old laptops.

Warning about the 24" ... I'm pretty sure they ONLY work with the very new, <1-month-old laptops.
Yep, looks like they only work with computers mini-DisplayPort, and they discontinued the old 23". A move that doesn't really make sense, considering all the Mac Pro users out there who have the cash for Apple's larger displays, but not the mini-DisplayPorts.

Well, it's an indication that Apple will be integrating DisplayPort on both the Mac mini, iMac and Mac Pro. So I see why they would discontinue the old 23".

I'm using a HP w2448hc, which so far has been more than adequate. Not sure what I'd do with anything larger to be honest.

Thanks to everyone that has replied.
Any opinions on the Samsung model 245T? It is a 24" TFT-LCD widescreen and has a lot of really positive review on B&H.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back