Approaching Strangers or Taking Photos of a Subject Unaware

Cwyatt
I visited your site, a lot of your candids seem to be from far away and quite a few are from behind.

Take a look at Javier's candid posts here on this site. He has some very good work.

OP
If you want to shoot candid photos, get used to it by doing it.
Like any other thing we do, the more familar with it, the more comfortable we are. Most of the time you will be fine, there may be a couple of instances where there could be an issue. Learn how to deal with it.

Google candid shots and you will find better info than I can provide you.

Cwyatt
I visited your site, a lot of your candids seem to be from far away and quite a few are from behind.

Take a look at Javier's candid posts here on this site. He has some very good work.

OP
If you want to shoot candid photos, get used to it by doing it.
Like any other thing we do, the more familar with it, the more comfortable we are. Most of the time you will be fine, there may be a couple of instances where there could be an issue. Learn how to deal with it.

Google candid shots and you will find better info than I can provide you.

Oh I know Javier well, some of his photos are great! A different technique tho.

Camus Wyatt: Photographs | Candid Streets I

;)

Pretty useful info here :3 thanks for the thread ...

Shoot with film.
loool, but he might end up breaking the camera, for the film to be deleted loool

Shoot and carry a big stick :lol:
loooool its more like am going to fight x D

This is something that absolutely terrifies me...I guess I imagine the person freaking out, come running up to me in public, smash my camera while the whole population stares on.... probably not going to happen, but it still scares me..
Yub <---- scares me too, i heard a couple of ppl were beaten up coz of that, it is pretty difficult problem...

i do make some space between me and the ppl when am trying to take the shot
or try to hid the camera and make it look like am not doing anything..

and if i want take a closer shots i would first ask them coz it would be Obvious...

If you give off the vibe of being nervous/ scared to take the shot, then you make the subject suspicious of what you are doing and that may create more conflicts. So work on being relaxed with a "I'm doing nothing wrong" demeanor, which will help people around you not get nervous.

Well seems no matter the demeanor I am taking shots. As I don't do people much at all. But am confronted anyways asking me if I was taking there pic when I was shooting leaves and such. I had a woman walking by on sidewalk and I was shooting flowers in a pot. And she called me a liar when I told her I wasn't shooting her or people for that matter but these flowers.

Even offered to show her the images and she refused walking away saying it was illegal to take her picture. Humans are just too much trouble. I love the looks I get when walking thru a park where kids are playing and that "Go Ahead Make My Day" challenge looks I get. Yep loving to automatically be labeled a perv because I'm an old fart guy.

So unless someone ask me to take their pic. I just don't do it. Way to much hassle even tho time to time I will take a candid anyways. I just don't even think about going out for that purpose as way too much a hassle for me.

I prefer to use a small camera, and shoot/compose as quick as possible by prefocusing.

I'd feel so stupid trying to do street with a dslr.

That is not true legally in Canada and the United States.

skieur

So as long as my intentions are not commercial i am fine legally? I don't want to profit are sell photos, this is just my interest that i am appriciating more and more.

And to Bushpig my only camera is digital but the LCD screen is cracked so i don't know how the photo turned out until i upload them, And yes i will go talk to him thank you for the great advice

As long as your intentions are not ADVERTISING, you are fine legally. Commercial MEANS advertising only in the law.

skieur

As far as I understand the law in the US (please consult an attorney for accurate information):

• If you are in a public place and not harassing the subject you can take their image without their consent.

• If you take their image in a private space it is a violation of the law. An example would be shooting them in their home through a window or shooting someone while they are in a restroom or changing room.

• If you are shooting fine art, you do not need a release form. You have the same freedom as if you were shooting photojournalism.

• If you are shooting commercially you need a release from anyone recognizable in the image, or yes, you can get sued big time.

• I've personally shot a handful of strangers for college assignments back in the day. (If you are doing this for a class, people are way more agreeable) If you approach people respectfully, many will feel flattered. If you offer to email them a copy it might get you more access.

It's not really candid if you approach people first, but there is some grey area - some people like making eye contact. I prefer just shooting whenever I like.

I prefer to use a small camera, and shoot/compose as quick as possible by prefocusing.

I'd feel so stupid trying to do street with a dslr.

Overall I agree. I think that Fujifilm X100 would be a great little street camera. However not all DSLR's are made the same. Pentax's range is very compact with some ultra-compact lens choices as well. Check out their 21mm and 40mm pancakes. Not fast lenses however. They do still make relatively compact fasts like the FA 31mm f/1.8

Overall I agree. I think that Fujifilm X100 would be a great little street camera.
Yeah that camera looks sexy. Too bad about the price, though.

Most reactions

Back