Are all his pains and sorrows o'er.

Ysarex

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took a little Spring Break road trip and drove down through Missouri's boot heel and over to south western Kentucky. I found this small cemetery along highway HH near Wyatt. Mr. Smith died a year after The Civil War ended. The inscription reads:

And is it true. Is he no more:
Are all his pains and sorrows o'er.
A loving husband and father dear:
A faithful friend lies buried here.

There's a side story to this photo. Back in 2011 the Mississippi flooded severely. You may remember news stories about the Corps of Engineers opening the Morganza spillway in LA and dynamiting the Birds Point Levee here in MO to relieve pressure on other areas. A huge tract of land in the MO boot heel was flooded when they blew the levee and this little cemetery went under 10 feet of rushing water. It's surrounded by a few farm houses that remain utterly destroyed. A couple of the grave markers had been broken off like this one -- I assume by the flooding -- and have been repaired.

Joe

I really like the way to discribed this. Reminds me of Spoon River Anthology. Good job. thanks Ed

Would have liked to have seen it shot down on it's level instead of from standing over it.

I really like the way to discribed this. Reminds me of Spoon River Anthology. Good job. thanks Ed

Thanks -- I was kind of touched to see that someone cleaned and fixed the place up with most of the markers for people who passed over 100 years ago.

Lewiston is just about 150 miles up the Illinois river from my place -- know it well.

Joe

Would have liked to have seen it shot down on it's level instead of from standing over it.

That's interesting because I started that way with it and didn't like how the base of the marker in the background was then hidden behind the main stone. It was also overcast in the background and I wanted the sky out. So I was actually on tip toes straining to get the camera as high as possible.

Joe

Most reactions

Back