Are flash modifiers recommended?

Are both of the tools I mentioned above great when the given situation dictates?
The Flash Bender is what I would call a reflector, and as such is indeed "bounce flash", but the size of it is nothing compared to a ceiling or wall. (the ceiling or wall is much larger)

The flag is useful when the head is very nearly pointed at your subject, but you don't want any direct flash.

I'll continue to read about bounce flash and modifiers, but thanks again for all the input.

For posterity, here is a Neil V video comparing modifiers which I missed previously.

quote:
- My goal with this thread was to see if there was a single piece of equipment I could always have mounted to my bounce flash that would positively improve it. Is this not realistic, that there isn't a single bounce flash modifier panacea?
- Are both of the tools I mentioned above great when the given situation dictates?
end quote

You seem to be getting the terms mixed up.

A shoe flash is NOT a bounce flash.
But a shoe flash can be used as a light source for bounce flash.
A shoe flash can also be used for direct flash.​

Bounce flash is bouncing the light from the flash off an object, like a wall, or ceiling.
You can use ANY flash to bounce the light, some are just easier to use than others.
You can aim the flash at the surface to bounce the light, or you can use a bowl diffuser to send the light all over and bounce off any surface.
Many people call the attached panels reflectors. Bounce usually refers to a LARGE fixed surface such as wall or ceiling.
Reflectors are portable panels that reflect the light back at the subject.
Yes, a wall and a reflector functionally do the same thing. So it can get confusing.​

Direct flash is the flash pointing directly at the subject, and usually bare of diffussers.​

There is no "magic bullet" that will solve all your problems.
As has been said, what works in one situation will not work or not work as well in another.
Each modifier is simply a different tool in the toolbox.
It is up to you, as the photographer, to select the appropriate tool/modifier for the task.

As you said "when the given situation dictates," is saying that the modifier is appropriate for the specific shooting situation.

Example1 - When you are CLOSE, the mini-soft box is OK.
But it is almost useless when you are shooting from over 15 feet away. At 15 feet, it is a small light source, relative to the subject. You might as well remove it and shoot bare.

Example2 - The mini diffuser/softbox strapped to the flash is maybe 3x5 INCHES, and used for diffused direct flash.
When I bounce on the wall behind me it is 8x10 FEET. This is a MUCH larger light source than the mini softbox. But obviously, I don't always have a nice wall behind me at the correct angle.

Example3 - I do NOT bounce at a restaurant with a RED ceiling. Cuz I don't want everything to have a red tint/cast from reflecting off the red ceiling. I would use direct flash, or the mini-softbox.​

Do not leave an unused modifier on the flash. That is just extra bulk and weight, and it may affect the light when you do not want the light modified. And it is just something that you have to remove when you want to use a different modifier.

@ac12 Thanks for clarifying semantics. I was referring to a Speedlight-esque shoe flash as a bounce flash which is in fact a technique rather than piece of equipment.

@ac12 Thanks for clarifying semantics. I was referring to a Speedlight-esque shoe flash as a bounce flash which is in fact a technique rather than piece of equipment.
Actually, it is about a piece of equipment. Some flashes do not tilt and swivel, but stay pointed directly toward the subject. Those don't work particularly well for bouncing.

A flash that tilts and swivels is one that can be bounced off a nearby surface, such as a ceiling or wall. Hence the term; "bounce".

So you can either remove the flash from the hotshoe and fire it by some means other than the hotshoe, OR you can leave it mounted in the hotshoe and swivel the head around to whatever seems like the best place from which to bounce the light.

Man! I sure hope this helps.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back