Are these any good?

NielsGade

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My main issue is composition. I'm not sure if I'm a genius or horrible.
img7595widescreen.jpg

img7605j.jpg

img7622b.jpg

img7649p.jpg

img7654j.jpg

6.Playing with lighting. I had a big light in the front and a little spotlight to light his back. I think the front light should have been higher up.
img7890fix.jpg

12345 are all pretty rubbish, but in contrast to #6...
#6 is bloody awesome.

12345 are all pretty OOF and under exposed on the focal point but over exposed in the skies, expose for your highlights...

1. fine, but i'd cut out the wall on the right.

2. i like the angle, but would prefer a portrait crop.

3. can't decide. i like a tighter crop cutting out the left wood pile, but i kindof like it this way too. hmmm

4. this is my favourite, the only improvement would be if the dog were looking slightly right instead of left, but the way you composed it is great.

5. meh, after #4 t's doesn't really stand up. did i mention that i liked #4?

6. yes, light higher up to catch his hair. would like to see more background too, more like it's the sun that's backlighting him. or a completely black background.

finally, all these shots could do with some post processing. straight out of camera they're a bit flat, some PP would really make them pop a bit more.

i would venture to say that you're neither horrible or a genius. you have good sense for composition. keep it up, keep shooting.

12345 are all pretty rubbish, but in contrast to #6...
#6 is bloody awesome.

12345 are all pretty OOF and under exposed on the focal point but over exposed in the skies, expose for your highlights...

OOF? And underexposed means it's too dark right?

1. fine, but i'd cut out the wall on the right.
That one is actually 2 pictures I shopped togheder.

2. i like the angle, but would prefer a portrait crop.
Portrait crop?

3. can't decide. i like a tighter crop cutting out the left wood pile, but i kindof like it this way too. hmmm
Yeah, I thought it would look good to have some sort of border on there, but I dunno. I was experimenting.

6. yes, light higher up to catch his hair. would like to see more background too, more like it's the sun that's backlighting him. or a completely black background.
I think that if I did this in the day it would ruin my light setup.

finally, all these shots could do with some post processing. straight out of camera they're a bit flat, some PP would really make them pop a bit more.
Like what PP? Sharpness? More saturation?

i would venture to say that you're neither horrible or a genius. you have good sense for composition. keep it up, keep shooting.
Thanks!

Last edited:
oof is out of focus aka not sharp
Ill so a few quick edits and post them up in about 10 -20 mins

PP, yes, contrast saturation, anything you do to the image after you take it. portrait crop=vertical layout instead of horizontal, cut out the empty space on either side of the dog.

PP, yes, contrast saturation, anything you do to the image after you take it. portrait crop=vertical layout instead of horizontal, cut out the empty space on either side of the dog.
I actually took such photo, but I dunno, thought the other one looked better.

here you go my edits...
http://img6.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dogmtv.jpg
cropping helped them a bit, i used some exposure correction and some curves

1st one, I cropped it and sharpened it
2nd one I cropped it and then i Blurred the back ground and sharpened the dog (only quickly masked the dog in though)
3rd one I Cropped and sharpened
4th one I Cropped, and applied a black and white gradient map and inverted it and set to soft light to bring out the sky

Hmm, I dunno about the close crops, I think it brings too much focus on the subject.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back