Arthur Ravenel Bridge - Charleston SC

Tiller

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I finally went and tried my hand at photographing the bridge in my town. It had been on my to do list for a while, but one thing or another always came up and put it on hold.

I took a lot, but I'll just post the one for now. C+C always welcome.

bridge 7 by tsmcdona, on Flickr

Pretty nice--I *love* that bridge! Last time I was there, a couple of years ago (just BEFORE I bought my DSLR, unfortunately) I took about 600 pictures of that bridge--pictures of us crossing it on a foggy, rainy morning, pictures of us going under it on a boat, pictures of it off in the distance from Shem Creek..it was like the durn Washington Monument, I just couldn't STOP taking pictures of it! :D Don't know that I got any with a beautiful sunset like that though...so now I guess I'll have to go back and try again. :D

Well let me know if you ever make it back and I'll show you my spot! :D It is an awesome bridge for sure!

Any other thoughts anyone?

I used to be stationed there at the Navy Base. Back then, that bridge wasn't there. I think it was known simply as the Cooper Rover Bridge.

I'd like to get back there some time. As I'm relocating to Florida via Pennsylvania, I just may have the opportunity to do just that.

As for the photos, I like the first one, but would like to see the bridge just a tad bit more into the frame, but not as far into it as it is in the second shot.

Did you take that from the Charleston side or the Mt. Pleasant side?

I took it from the Charleston side, by Patriots Point. There's a pier that goes right out under the bridge. I trekked a little ways into the marsh. So technically, the photo was taken on the Mt. Pleasant side of the bridge even though the park is on the Charleston side.

Quite a few years ago, when my kids were still in scouts, our troop got to go down and spend the weekend on the USS Yorktown. While we were there, we got to participate in a conservation project being done in the marsh probably somewhere very near where you took those pictures. This was before the bridge had been built, though if memory serves, it may have been started--I'll have to look at those pictures tonight and see when we were there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back