Assistant Photographer Interview, Help Please.

My first day was amzing like i said above! Seriously I learned so much and I really enjoyed myself and it just showed me how much i would enjoy bit as a career when i am older rather than just a hobby.

I am currently 16, I am 17 in Dec.

How i got the job?
I got the yellow pages out and rang around. A few people said "no" as i expected and a few people said they couldnt as they were self employed but gave me lots of useful information. Then I rang the company i am currentlyworking for and they seemed so nice and great on the phone, and I just couldnt wait for the chat the next day. Then when i met the 2 photographers, i was so chuffed they were so nice and were down to earth and spoke to me as I was one of the team it was great! Then when i went out with the female photographer, We had a great laugh together and chatted about things that I was unsure about within the photography. My main job for the day was to carry the box around but the whole experience was great and everyone has to start somewhere, but even though i was only carrying a box around and not taking pictures, I got alot of inspiration from each shot and location of the shot from where and how she took each shot.

Well there is diffinately alot to learn, but in my opinion it is more than worth it! I cannot wait to go back again in a week and see the actual pictures taken, i really cant wait. Then see what other jobs i could attend with them...

Well ill keep you all informed...

See? What did I tell you?
I know that going through the Yellow Pages and cold calling with 'giz a job' works because I have told countless students to do it over the years and all the ones who try it meet with success.
Congratulations and well done you.

Congratulations and well done!!

Steve :thumbup:

cbay said:
I am currently 16, I am 17 in Dec.

this is a sign! im 16, 17 in december and iv been thinking about looking for a assistant photographer job. now im gonna start ringing around.

what did you say to them on the phone?

will.

Oh congrats!! Working your way up through the ranks is one of the best ways to learn anything. I wish you the best of luck!!

Thanks everyone...

Yeh! plus i got 2 full days of work experience organised with too rather large newspapers to try my hand out at Press Photography and see behind the scenes.

You have to be yourself and be nice and polite and cheerful! and you will get "no" on quite alot but you will get there in the end... Good Luck!

Does everyone think I am going about this the right way???

cbay said:
Does everyone think I am going about this the right way???
There is no 'right' way, as such, only the way that works for you.
I've known hundreds of photographers over the years and I think no two got into the business in exactly the same way.
So don't worry about if you are doing it the right way - just get in there and do it.

will turner said:
this is a sign! im 16, 17 in december and iv been thinking about looking for a assistant photographer job. now im gonna start ringing around.

what did you say to them on the phone?

will.

I know of a few photographers who are London based who work with dozens of assistants over the course of a year. If your interested I can probably try to track down some contacts if ye promise to be reliable :mrgreen: Cant promise anything but can pass em on if yer interested dude.

Though like I said, its far from regular work, maybe just one or two days worth.

Thanks, but i live in birmingham so London is quite far for myself to go. Im happy with my current job, once a week or when needed, i love it so id rather keep that thanks.

Tkraz said:
I know of a few photographers who are London based who work with dozens of assistants over the course of a year. If your interested I can probably try to track down some contacts if ye promise to be reliable :mrgreen: Cant promise anything but can pass em on if yer interested dude.

Though like I said, its far from regular work, maybe just one or two days worth.

that would be amazing, thanks.
my email address is [email protected]
thanks.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back