What's new

Attempt To Do Studio Type Shots

Skedaddle

TPF Noob!
Joined
Apr 12, 2009
Messages
219
Reaction score
0
Location
Where Everything Is Bigger
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well I decided to try and do a studio type shoot today. I lined up a row of chairs and threw a white sheet from the closet over them. I used natural lighting and came out with these. This is my first attempt to do anything like this and I have no experience with studio settings and lighting. Other than the slight shadows, wrinkles in the sheet and blocks in front of the boy, how do they look?

(1)
EXIF
Shutter Speed - 1/160 sec
F-Stop - f/3.2
Focal Length - 12.6 mm
ISO - 400

3559782141_f437c488d5.jpg


(2)
EXIF
Shutter Speed - 1/160 sec
F-Stop - f/3.2
Focal Length - 19.7 mm
ISO - 400

3560597110_ac13dfcd20.jpg


(3)
EXIF
Shutter Speed - 1/200 sec
F-Stop - f/3.2
Focal Length - 9.1 mm
ISO - 400

3559782887_08ec3f9cf7.jpg


(4)
EXIF
Shutter Speed - 1/200 sec
F-Stop - f/3.2
Focal Length - 9.1 mm
ISO - 400

3559783885_414a473d80.jpg
 
The children are lovely, and the focus is crisp, but they do not look professional. The white sheet is too white. Did you use a flash? If so, it is too direct. Also, the girl should be smiling, and that crease under her arm is distracting. Try to smooth the flyaway on her hair.
 
You really need to iron your background, get the kids further away from it, or wrinkle it more uniformly. The lighting looks alright but it is fairly uninteresting. To get more control over where light is falling without spending on off camera lighting, pick up a couple of sheets of foamcore board from wal-mart or wherever (you can sometimes find it on sale at craft stores for less than $2) and use them as big reflectors to push the light where you want it to go, and keeps you from being so much at its mercy.
 
Thanks for the comments. I have no idea how to do any sort of studio set up and I had nothing to make a set up. So I just used some items around the house to do this. I did not use any flash. I set this up infront of the back door and used natural light. I'm not particularly interested in doing an actual studio set up but I thought I would mess around with it this morning.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom