Avoiding Assault (Or Lowering the Odds)

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last week I narrowly escaped an assault in downtown Austin while on assignment covering SXSW music showcases. I realize that the combination of being a young woman (I'm 23), carrying around expensive camera gear, and working solo at an event like this ups my odds of getting into trouble. But after a night spent in the emergency clinic / talking to the police I'm trying to find a way to minimize risk.

Any ideas?

I carry a very, very low-profile camera bag and always dress to match the locals. Typically work alone but always carry some form of self-defense. Keep a cell phone easily accessible.

I've met grizzly bears that were more friendly than that crowd.

Outdoor and Equestrian Photography

Learn Commando Krav Maga.

Specifically designed for instinctive, intuitive, concept (not technique) based self defence with several modules on defending against multiple attackers.

Other than that there's not a huge amount you can do - the stuff you're doing is right. Keep a low profile and try to blend in.

That's crazy! I've never had something happen to me before. Stay safe.

Carry pepper spray or something like that if you're in a bad environment like that. I'm sorry to hear this and hope it hasn't shaken you up too much.

On the strobist website (Strobist) he spoke once of walking back to his car alone at night and being prepared for just that. I couldn't find it again, but one piece of advice he gave was to keep flash handy at full manual power to temporarily blind an attacker in the dark. I don't know if you carry a tripod or monopod, but he suggested using that as a weapon after blinding them. You could also get a tazer, which would probably be more effective. I would also suggest insuring your gear so if something were to happen you could just drop it and run, that is probably what he is after anyway, and you could run faster. Probably better to have to replace the gear (especially if it's insured) than being severely injured or worse.

It's unfortunate that you are a young female, because as you pointed out, that is who most cowardly attackers are going to target.

How about open carry of a deadly weapon on your belt? Seriously. In most US states and municipalities, a non-felon is allowed to openly carry a weapon like a knife or handgun as long as it is not concealed.

How about open carry of a deadly weapon on your belt? Seriously. In most US states and municipalities, a non-felon is allowed to openly carry a weapon like a knife or handgun as long as it is not concealed.

It's not quite that simple. You open carry in my jurisdiction and your @$$ is going to jail. End of story. You carry concealed with a permit and you are fine. Open carry at a state level is allowed in most states. At a municipal level it is not. Good site to learn more on open carry. OpenCarry.org - A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost!

Note if you're going to carry a weapon (tazer/knife/gun/etc...) make sure you know how to use properly and also be prepared to use it for defence before you carry it - otherwise you're just giving your opponent another weapon. Many people get stabbed with their own knife because they carry one around, but never actually know how to use it properly in a knife fight situation and thus their opponent gets the better of them.

To expound on what Overread said, if you are going to carry a deadly force weapon, you need to take a deep look into your soul and psyche before you decide to carry one. If you do not have in you the ability to take a human life with that weapon if necessary, then do not pick it up. It will only get you or someone else hurt or killed. A tazer, while it can be a great non/lethal weapon, is not as easy to use or carry as one would think. If it fails or you fail in using it effectively you have just made the other person angrier and a second chance to use it is unlikely. If you have no way either physically or mentally of stepping up on the use of force continum, you again are in a bad, possibly worse situation.

If you believe that you mentally have the ability to use force, then I would suggest that you look at the legal carrying of your choice of protection. If you don't have that ability in you, and if you don't there is nothing wrong with that, then you might want to take someone with you that could provide a level of protection in the situations you are in.

If you choose one of the hand to hand martial arts then I would suggest Systema SPETSNAZ.

Last edited:
If my assailant is going to hurt me with my own gun, he's gonna have to beat me with it. By the time he gets his hands on it, it will be empty. And if he's still able to gain control of it at that point, I deserve to be beaten with it.

And for the record..... Yes, I have been shot at.

Charter Arms Bulldog Revolver - www.MidwestHuntersOutlet.com

Actually quite easy to handle and hit with, plus the large .44 Special cylinder openings and huge muzzle opening have a profound psychological effect that the .35 cal (aka 9mm, .38, .380.357) handguns lack. Stainless gives a lot of "profile" and makes the gun easily seen in lower light levels. Even a fairly low-powered .44 Special target wadcutter round is a potent round, and it's fun to target shoot with.

I agree. Take the safety courses, get a gun (and all locally required permits) and be prepared.

Product: Model 60LS

Its simple, compact and it gets the job done.

Ruger® LCP® Centerfire Pistol Models

^^^ That's what I carry. Lazer pointer and hollow point bullets in the mag. :lol:

We need to get a *second* one, because it's actually what *Keith* carries, but he gives it to me and he'll take the other hand gun he has, if I'm going somewhere shady for a shoot.

That's a good point... and being that she's in Texas, they might be used to it... but I know that if *I* carried a non-concealed weapon, I'd probably have trouble doing my job *anyway*, because people would freak out, call the cops and I'd be getting stopped every 5 feet to show the authorities that I have my license to carry. :lol:

People freak out when they see a gun strapped to someone not wearing a blue suit, unless you're wearing orange, it's a riffle, and you're heading into the woods during hunting seasons. :lmao:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back