B&W circular polarizer

phototrek

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I am in the process of buying the Canon 16-35 f/2.8L lens. This lens takes a 82mm polarizer filter. I see B+W has two kinds of filters for this type of lens, the slim version and the extra wide glass version. I know about the slim version and the push on cap. The extra wide glass version is to prevent vignetting, the accessory thread on the front is larger. This allows you to use a 92mm snap on cap. My questions are, has anyone use the extra wide glass filter? Is it worth the extra money? Can you use the hood with this filter on? I guess you can take the filter off, install the hood and then reattach the filter.

Last edited:
I don't know about your specific lens. But I use a standard B+W on my 20-35 nikon with no vignetting. Obviously your lens is wider. But I would think the slim version would be just fine on it. I wouldn't think you could use the hood with the 92mm sized filter attached.

I have that lens, but my polarizer is not a B&W. Best suggestion would be to go to a good photography shop that deals with B&W and try them both out. Then you will know for sure.

I bought the Slim CPL for my 12-24mm lens. The slip on cap is useless IMO. I can't see where you wouldn't just as well off with a standard filter that allows you to use your lens cap. If it doesn't work for you, return it... B&H are pretty good about that stuff, but inquire before purchasing. I don't see the benefit of an Extra Wide either, but ask the sales person at B&H... or Adorama, they're pretty good to talk things through with.

I have that lens, but my polarizer is not a B&W. Best suggestion would be to go to a good photography shop that deals with B&W and try them both out. Then you will know for sure.

Going to a good photo shop is but a memory for most of us in the US. I live in a metro area of nearly a million, and we don't have one, NOT ONE, camera shop. The last we did have was Ritz. The last locally-owned shop closed more than five years ago. Even when we did have the luxury of camera/photos shops, none of them ever carried a wide array of products. They could order you most anything, but seldom stocked a decent selection.

Going to a good photo shop is but a memory for most of us in the US. I live in a metro area of nearly a million, and we don't have one, NOT ONE, camera shop. The last we did have was Ritz. The last locally-owned shop closed more than five years ago. Even when we did have the luxury of camera/photos shops, none of them ever carried a wide array of products. They could order you most anything, but seldom stocked a decent selection.

I kinda have to agree with this...

Unless I want to drive to Dallas (an hour drive), I have ONE local photo shop.
I have never been there though (been meaning to check it out)...

Why haven't I been there? Well, they also sell bait.

Let's just say that my expectations aren't very high. One of the shops wares was an afterthough... Was it worms, or cameras...? I don't know. It sure is an odd combination though.

Let's just say that my expectations aren't very high. One of the shops wares was an afterthough... Was it worms, or cameras...? I don't know. It sure is an odd combination though.

:lol: That is a pretty odd combo! Maybe it is one of those things where the wife loves photography and the husband loves fishing but they couldn't afford to have two different stores?

Do make sure they don't pull the ol' bait and switch on ya, though! But maybe it'll be a cute little camera shop and will worm its way into your heart. ;)

I kinda have to agree with this...

Unless I want to drive to Dallas (an hour drive), I have ONE local photo shop.
I have never been there though (been meaning to check it out)...

Hey, if you know they sell bait. That at least have a refrigerator to store film in. Unless of course they sell alot of bait and its full of worms. :lol:

I bought the Slim CPL for my 12-24mm lens. The slip on cap is useless IMO.

I have the slim one too. I have the same problem with the slip on cap - it nevers stays on.

I'm not even sure why I got the slim one... But, since I already have it, I don't want to buy another (regular) one.

I still have to check out the bait/camera shop...

Who knows...maybe it really is a good shop.

OMG. OK. Business opportunity for someone. Jerryph has been in DIY mode lately. Here's his chance. Maybe a hood scarf would sell?

Do it Jerry, Do it. :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back