Baby (Brachypelma tarantula) got a brand new coat

Ecooper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I bought this spider specifically to photograph, but it is also an interesting critter. I chose this species because they are easy to keep in captivity; they are very pretty; and they are docile. I do a lot of my photography on the kitchen table and didn’t want something that would take off and disappear under the fridge the moment I picked-up my camera! Besides, since buying this spider we added two young cats to the household—they would love a young tarantula to play with. Mind you, the cats may have solved the other problem: they keep chasing their toys under the fridge. There might not be room for a tarantula under there anymore.

The spider is about three inches across. When I first got it its colours were drab and some of the urticating hairs on its abdomen were rubbed-off. I didn’t want to photograph the little beast until it moulted and had a nice bright new and complete skin.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress .com

brachypelma copyright ernie cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

brachypelma w skin copyright ernie cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Purty! I have considered purchasing a Tarantula just for photography also... but my GF keeps vetoing the idea! lol!

Purty! I have considered purchasing a Tarantula just for photography also... but my GF keeps vetoing the idea! lol!

I am in the same boat as you. My compromise was jumpers though, she hates that they jump but thinks they are cute. Now I need to catch/buy some.

Love the photo's OP.

Sent from my iPad using PhotoForum

Nice. How much does it eat per day? I'm assuming you feed it store-bought grasshoppers?

So pretty. I owned a Brazilian pink toed tarantula a long time ago. They are very interesting creatures. I wish I would've taken some pics when I had her, she was awesome

Just a funny aside. The night I brought our new camera home a few weeks ago I was messing with my girlfriend & not telling her what I was bringing home. She thought for a little while that I was bringing home a small, creepy-crawly pet. She told me if it was something like that, that I wasn't welcome in the house.

Most reactions

Back