Back in Korea

I am staying in a slightly strange, but luxurious place. It is at the easternmost point of South Korea, and the hotel is kind of a cruise ship but built on a small hill above the sea.

Nikon D800 Nikkor 14 - 24 at 14mm f/8 10 seconds ISO 100

boat-hotel by singingsnapper, on Flickr

I woke at 0545 this morning to catch the light before sun rise and the sunrise itself for all of these I used photomatix to merge several exposures.

Nikon D800 Nikkor 24 - 70 36mm and f/16 ISO 50 15 mins before the sun rose

Before-sunrises-at-the-Easternmost-point-of-Korea by singingsnapper, on Flickr

As the sun rose: (a bit of flare was unavoidable as I was shooting directly at the sun)

same FL and settings:

wider-here-comes-the-sun by singingsnapper, on Flickr

and at 60mm and f/11

Here-comes-the-sun by singingsnapper, on Flickr

There are some REALLY nice images here... Some of the shots of the buildings look like architechtonic renders!

More from Korea. Today I went to a farm in the North East of South korea, and we were driven to the top of the range at 1500m. We met quite a few different characters on the way:

This is Jeff - an English sheepdog brought out to Korea to move sheep. Korea isn't big on sheep - it produces great Beef, although not as famous as the US or Japan, it is very succulent and well tended.

Nikon D800 Nikkor AFS 80 - 200 at 200mm f/6.3 1/1000 ISO 500

Jeff-the-english-sheepdog-in-Korea by singingsnapper, on Flickr

and here he is in action:

same camera and lens: 200mm f/8 1/1250 ISO 500

sheepdog-trial by singingsnapper, on Flickr

This is Mr Ha, the best shepherd in Korea and the only shearer in the country. He spends time in the UK and NZ keeping his skills up to date. It sounded slightly strange hearing "come- by" in a korean accent!

same set up: 200mm f/6.3 1/800 ISO 500

Mr-Ha-the-shepherd by singingsnapper, on Flickr

At the end day this little guy was running around the yard and not sitting still for very long. Unfortunately I went for a wander with just the camera with the 24 - 70 attached. My other lenses were packed in the car, so I've had to crop this down a fair bit I had sprayed and prayed a little and he stood and looked at me for 4 seconds about a foot or two away. Unfortunately as sod's law would have it, I was waiting for the buffer to empty and missed the shot:

nikkor 24 - 70 @ 70mm f/6.3 1/160 ISO 800

Do-you-think-it's-Alvin- by singingsnapper, on Flickr

At the very end of the day we went to an excellent beef restaurant where you buy your meat first in a supermarket that is part of the restaurant and then they put the charcoal BBQ in and you cook it. Delicious. The best restaurants in Korea often don't look much to look at, but the food is fresh and tasty:

I only had my iphone with me so processed the shot in CS5

The settings chosen by the iPhone 4s were: 1/30 35mm equiv 35mm f/2.4 ISO 50

Korean-beef-restaurant by singingsnapper, on Flickr

A couple more from yesterday and a few from today in various parts of North Eastern South Korea.

this is from the highest peak within Samyang Ranch at 1300m. Converted in silver efex pro2. I suspect I've overcooked the sky a little as originally it was fairly innocuous.

Nikon D800 Nikkor 14 - 24 at 14mm f/11 1/200 ISO 100

view-from-Samyang-hill-2 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

There are a fair few windfarms up there and I thought I would make the most of the wide end of my 14 - 24 to get some interesting perspectives:

Nikkor 14 - 24 at 14mm f/11 1/320 ISO 100

Electric-windmill-Samyang-ranch by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Nikkor 14 - 24 at 20mm f/11 1/160 ISO 100

ultrawide-windfarm-from-side-in-colour by singingsnapper, on Flickr

The Autumn colours are in full swing here, with deep golds and even reds. This is at the base of the ranch

Nikon D800 Nikkor 24 - 70 at f/8 1/160 ISO 100

autumn-leaves by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Today we went further North, (our hotel is within 35 miles of the North Korean border) and took a cable car part way up seoraksan mountain. At about 1600mm there were a few fingers of rock around. The climbing isn't the hardest, even so there are people speaking words of encouragement from a megaphone on the summit to get people to climb to the top. Before I did, I found an interesting angle between some rocks:

Nikkor 24 - 70 at f/11 24mm 1/60 ISO 100

cloud through the rocks by singingsnapper, on Flickr

converted to B/W in Silver efex pro2

cloud through the rocks bw by singingsnapper, on Flickr

One more before I go to bed - it's 01.30 am here - here's one from our drive to our hotel in Yang Yang which is famous for my favourite vegetable, the mushroom. We had crossed one river bridge and I saw a stunning view with the light getting better and better. However there was nowhere to stop and it was a busy road without a pavement. Thankfully there was another bridge with a similar view where there was a pavement.

Nikon D800 Nikkor 14 - 24 at 20mm f/16 1/4 ISO 50

looking down the valley in sokcho, Korea by singingsnapper, on Flickr

More from the last few days in Seoul. This was the evening we went to the Jazz club.

Waiting to cross the road to Bongeun-Sa temple

1.Nikon D800 Nikkor 24 - 70 at 24mm f/14 1/125 ISO 400

Gangnam-street by singingsnapper, on Flickr

A few inside Bongeun-Sa Temple:

2. Nikkor 24 - 70 at 24mm f/11 1/30 ISO 250

Bongeun-Sa-Temple by singingsnapper, on Flickr

3. 24 - 70 at 24mm f/11 1/50 ISO 500

Bongeun-Sa-Temple-2 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

4. Nikkor 14 - 24 at 14mm f/8 1/60 ISO 320

Bongeun-Sa-Buddha by singingsnapper, on Flickr

5. Looking back towards Gangnam from the back of the stone

Nikkor 24 - 70 at 24mm f/8 1/60 ISO 400

Gangnam's-high-rise-buildings-reflected-in-the-floor by singingsnapper, on Flickr

6. Looking through the trees towards the Seoul World Trade Center

24mm f/8 1/50 ISO 500

Looking-past-temple-and-tree-to-Seoul's-World-Trade-Center by singingsnapper, on Flickr

7. The last light was in the sky as I returned to my hotel:

29mm f/4 1/60 ISO 800

Gangnam-square-2 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

8. 24mm f/7.1 1/40 ISO 1000

Gangnam-square by singingsnapper, on Flickr

9. And my view from the car in Seoul on our way to the Jazz club. Seoul's roads typically jammed with traffic:

Nikkor AFS 50 1.8G f/3.5 1/50 ISO 1000

Seoul-traffic by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Some more from my recent trip to Korea. We climbed part way up a 5000 ft mountain, and the going was quite steep in places, but the views were great. There were a lot of people climbing too and it was fortunate that it was dry as the rocks would have been like ice when wet.

Here are some of the people heading up:

Nikon D800 Nikkor 24 - 70 at 24mm f/11 1/250 ISO 100

People-on--their-way-up-the-mountain by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Here is the view from the top through the AFS 300 f/4D lens: I have used the high pass filter to grab detail out of the haze:

AF-S 300 f/4 at f/8 1/400 ISO 200

View-from-the-top by singingsnapper, on Flickr

and much wider view:

Nikkor 14 - 24 at 14mm f/8 1/125 ISO 100

View-from-the-top-of-the-mountain-2 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

and converted to BW in Silver Efex pro2

BW-View-from-the-top-of-the-mountain-2 by singingsnapper, on Flickr

Most reactions

Back