Bald-faced hornet

Ecooper

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

I haven't posted here for ages! For that matter I haven't done much photography for ages. I didn't lose interest, life just got a bit too busy.
But spring is here and its time to break out the camera gear and start shooting some bugs. In the meantime I've been going through my files and came accross this picture of a bald-faced hornet (Dolichovespula maculata) that I shot last summer. I love the face on this beast...and the way these wasps rest with their front legs off the ground.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com
Camera: Olympus OM-D E-M5
Lens: Zuiko 60mm micro four thirds macro
Settings: manual exposure (F11 @ 1/160 sec)
Lighting: Olympus flash (I don't remember which one or the setting—oops!)
ISO: 200

I just got a ring lite for my Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro lens. It's pretty sweet, even if other great macro photographers say they don't like ring lites. I can't wait for it to warm up a little so I can go bug hunting!!

I just got a ring lite for my Canon 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro lens. It's pretty sweet, even if other great macro photographers say they don't like ring lites. I can't wait for it to warm up a little so I can go bug hunting!!

I sometimes think that the bad rap that ring-lights get tends to be passed along by photographers that haven't tried them. I alternate between several flash set-ups depending on what I am shooting. The ring flash is especially nice when shooting bugs in bushes, on branches etc as you are less likely to bump into the foliage with the flash and scare the critter. The drawback is that the subject tends to be well lit while the background is darker. That effect works well for some pictures (like this one), not so great if you want it to look more like it was shot in available light.

The reality is that there is no right or wrong way to light a critter as long as you get a nice image.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Very cool!!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back