Banding question on D200

CMOS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I've read some info about 'banding' with some of the Nikon D200's. I saw some of it after I enhanced a coulple of flash pictures with some software (albeit cheap photo software). I'm wondering if the camera needs to go back to Nikon for adjustment.

Where does banding show up? On the camera screen on the back of the camera body, or does it show up when the individual file is openned with graphics software like Adobe Photoshop or Photo Elements?

CMOS

Banding tends to show up mostly in images with a blown highlight to shadow transition. There are 3 types of banding, from being visible all the time to only being visible if you "force" it. There is also a "short" banding that Nikon says is acceptable and is caused by them removing a more objectionable CA from the image.
You won't see the banding on the camera's LCD, generally it needs to be viewed at 100% or more. You should contact Nikon service and provide them with an image that has the problem and they will tell you what to do from there. Generally the camera is fixed and returned with no banding in 7 - 10 working days. People are taking shots of lightbulbs to test for banding, this test is the best bet for inducing banding.
That said, it could also be the software or other exposure problems, without an image it's hard to tell. Send a problem image to Nikon for evaluation.
Just out of curiosity, is your D200 an early one or did you get it recently?

Just got it a couple of weeks ago. But I am not sure when it was manufatured 'cause the firmware is rev 1.00, and I saw that some people have newer versions installed. Unfortunately, according to Nikon, there is nothing downloadable yet.

Thanks for the lightbulb test idea. I'll try it when I get home this afternoon.

To dsp921,

Did your suggested test. Shot a track light (reeeeeeeeaaaaal bright) at various exposures. Manipulated the images on a PC. NO BANDING!!!!!

Thanks again -CMOS

That's good to hear. I've been waiting for all the banding talk to die down before I buy a D200 myself. Seems like the word that Nikon has modified their calibration and only the early samples of the camera are having issues is correct.
Any other feedback on the camera? It's nice to hear from an owner as opposed to listening to all the talk on 'net.

don't want to hijack the thread, but what is banding?

It's a stripe or corduroy pattern in the image in and/or around transitions from blown out highlights to shadows.

I am beginning to feel a little less overwhelmed by all it can do. I have not used a good camera in some time and this is my first DSLR. My background is bascially film based; I've shot small/medium/large format.

So, I am in the ol' learning curve, trying to decipher which bell or whistle to use in what situation (ie - metering patterns), and which switch or button to use to change settings. That being said, I am pretty pleased so far. I especially like the large LCD screen. Control switches & buttons seem to be in easily accessible places; even when keeping your eye at the view finder. I also like how it feels when holding it; really well built.

The 'trigger' is perfectly balanced for my taste. With some cameras I tried, it seemed like if you breathed on the trigger it would start popping off shots without just letting you focus the camera. Also, the deep buffer is nice. You can get quite a few shots off before it fills.

Of course, then there is the flash component. I tell you what ... that SB800 sure is nice.

One last thing ... 5 frames/sec is pretty darn nice when trying to record action; like triathletes running and biking. That, by-the-way, is the primary reason I bought this puppy.

One other last thing (and this is a caveat) .. I am pretty much a neophyte with this DSLR stuff, so I may not be the best source for an evaluation. But I do like this camera.

Thanks CMOS, I appreciate the input.

dsp921 said:
It's a stripe or corduroy pattern in the image in and/or around transitions from blown out highlights to shadows.

Ah, i've seen this happen a couple of times on my 20d. mostly when ive over processed an image. i didnt know wether it was a fault or characteristic of dlsr's

JohnMF said:
Ah, i've seen this happen a couple of times on my 20d. mostly when ive over processed an image. i didnt know wether it was a fault or characteristic of dlsr's
I guess it depends how you look at it. From all I can gather it is a side effect of the camera attempting to eliminate some chromatic aberration. It's probably easier to remove the banding in post than it is to fix the CA. I suppose all cameras have artifacts that we have to live with, that's the price of digital.

Most reactions

Back