Batch output RAW to JPGs?

Breanna

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have 86 photos that I opened and adjusted in Camera RAW. I don't need to do anything else with them, other than convert to JPG. I normally make additional changes once I open them outside of Camera RAW and "Save As" a JPG.

Is there a way to batch output so that I don't have to do this 86 times? :thumbdown:

Yep, no problem.

In the actions palette, create a new action by clicking on the icon next to the garbage can. Choose a name and click Record. Open one of your RAW files into ACR. Click on Open Image. Click on Image > Mode > 8 Bits/Channel. Click File > Save As... Select JPEG from the Format drop down menu. Save it at the desired compression level into a destination folder. Then close the image. Then click on the stop button in the actions pallete (the square button).

Go to File > Automate > Batch... Select the action you just created in the drop down menu. Choose the source and destination folders. Make sure "Override Action 'Open' Commands" is checked. Make sure "Override Action 'Save As' Commands" is checked. If you have sub folders within your source folder that have photos you want processed, make sure "Include All Subfolders" is checked. Make sure "Stop for Errors" is selected in the Errors drop down menu near the bottom. Then click OK and will will process each image one by one until it's done.

Last edited:
the other option is if you use Adobe lightroom, you can batch process photos quickly in there

Lightroom FTW! What I love about Lightroom is that after you do your adjustments to the RAW files, you can batch export it all to JPG, but if you decide you want to go back and change something in the way they were processed, you can go back and work on the RAW files without reopening anything, which is a huge time saver (for me at least).

Every images shoot from RAW files has a different exposure especially if that is different subject... now if your going to adjust 1 RAW images say the Brightness, Contrast, Exposure, Temp etc and you want to apply those setting with the other 86 RAW files with different subject it will give you a different image looks like other are in good exposure but other is not.

Now if you only need to convert your RAW files into JPEG files as a batch... this free program can convert all your RAW files folder into JPEG
Digital Photography - RawWorkflow.com - Instant JPEG From Raw Utility
That you can set the file size to min 100x100 & 1000x1000 max file size or do nothing to resize the images & stay as a native then you can do the rest editing that you want to do in JPEG.

You only need to do after installing the program is right click the RAW folder then choose "Instant JPEG from RAW" a dialog box will open then hit "Extract"... it will create a sub-folder at the same directory (RAW folder) with the converted JPEG files.

Every images shoot from RAW files has a different exposure especially if that is different subject...

Eh wha? So if I take the same shot three times at—for the sake of argument—f/2.8, 1/200, and ISO 100, the exposure for each image is going to be different just by the virtue that I'm shooting RAW? Seriously? :lol:

And why on earth would you want to convert all of your RAWs to JPEGs before you edit them? That undermines much of the point of shooting RAW in the first place.

Doesn't Camera Raw have the ability to "Save Images" within itself? Sorry, I haven't used it in a while. I am also assuming that we are talking about PS Raw

If you select all the images and click save images you should be able to select JPG.

Every images shoot from RAW files has a different exposure especially if that is different subject...

Eh wha? So if I take the same shot three times at—for the sake of argument—f/2.8, 1/200, and ISO 100, the exposure for each image is going to be different just by the virtue that I'm shooting RAW? Seriously? :lol:

And why on earth would you want to convert all of your RAWs to JPEGs before you edit them? That undermines much of the point of shooting RAW in the first place.

What I'm trying to say here is if you shoot some of your image from indoor and the other images shoot it from outdoor ofcourse that would be different exposure. So If you're going to edit your RAW file taken from indoor says a dark photograph & adjusted it whatever you want to... are you going to apply the same setting that you used on that to your outdoor images just to export it as a batch then do the rest of editing if that is already converted to JPEG file?

What I'm trying to say here is if you shoot some of your image from indoor and the other images shoot it from outdoor ofcourse that would be different exposure. So If you're going to edit your RAW file taken from indoor says a dark photograph & adjusted it whatever you want to... are you going to apply the same setting that you used on that to your outdoor images just to export it as a batch then do the rest of editing if that is already converted to JPEG file?
i see what both of you are saying. BUT... I think you are saying the same thing, just coming from different directions and thinking from different steps in the process.

I don't think batch processing is the same thing as batch exporting, which is what the OP is asking about.

now... once you have corrected your raw files and have them the way you want them, EXPORT them to whatever type of file you prefer, then you can batch process them using the recorded or whatever action you like.

p.s. I tested camera raw in photoshop and yes, you can open all your files adjust them to your liking and then select all the thumbnails on the side and then click save images. this will bring up another menu asking what you would like to do with the files, how to name them, what format and so on. Breanna, this is what you are asking about, correct?

Lots of answers - some easier than other! Thanks for the replies, guys :)

Twozero, I'll have to try that once I'm at home and in front of my computer. That would be cake.

And Error, I was asking about batch exporting, not batch processing.

I'll admit- I own Lightroom but it feels so different. It makes me feel uncomfortable because I don't know how to use it. haha.

Lightroom DEFINITELY has a learning curve, but if you find yourself with extra time on your hands, force yourself to play around with it. Check out some tutorials online if you need to, download some presets and play around. It felt really really strange to me too when I started using it, but it becomes more and more intuitive the more you use it and it is a stellar cataloging tool. The non destructive editing process is hands down the best part of it though. I use Lightroom to import and process all of my RAW files, and then take them through PS for whatever fine tuning I need. Lightroom is a fantastic tool to develop a very organized workflow too.

I sound like a Lightroom cheerleader, right? LOL, maybe I ought to get Adobe to kick me a few bucks for all the promotion! It's a great program though.

Lightroom DEFINITELY has a learning curve, but if you find yourself with extra time on your hands, force yourself to play around with it. Check out some tutorials online if you need to, download some presets and play around. It felt really really strange to me too when I started using it, but it becomes more and more intuitive the more you use it and it is a stellar cataloging tool. The non destructive editing process is hands down the best part of it though. I use Lightroom to import and process all of my RAW files, and then take them through PS for whatever fine tuning I need. Lightroom is a fantastic tool to develop a very organized workflow too.

I sound like a Lightroom cheerleader, right? LOL, maybe I ought to get Adobe to kick me a few bucks for all the promotion! It's a great program though.
I couldn't agree more! Lightroom just works so well. It's so easy once you get the hang of it. For the most part, it has completely taking PS out of the equation for me. *almost* It's definitely worth spending a couple hours learning your way around it.

Most reactions

Back