Battery Grip...significance??

wmc1117

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Just curious what is the significance of a battery grip?

It gives you an extra shutter button and dial for when you're shooting in portrait orientation.

It also gives you more battery power, so you can go longer without changing batteries.

It gives you an extra shutter button and dial for when you're shooting in portrait orientation.

It also gives you more battery power, so you can go longer without changing batteries.

all that and it looks badass:drool:

There are 2 kinds:
  • Battery grips
  • Vertical grips
Battery grips tend to be 3rd party brands and offer more battery capacity (or use of AA size batteries) at the expense of making the camera heavier. Battery grips don't have additional camera controls.

Vertical grips can be 3rd party of from the camera maker. They too have extra battery capacity and many offer the use of AA batteries too. They also make the camera heavier but offer a vertical shutter release, command wheels, and at least an AF botton.

Some of the 3rd party vertical grips don't actuate the shutter directly but use an infrared signal to do so. Those grips have a small arm that swings out to accomodate the feature.

Is everyone forgetting the boost in FPS?

He's said in other recent threads that he has a Canon XS.

I thought with the D300 to get the boost you had to use the D700 (EN-EL4a) batteries or 8 AA's. Which means you need another charger unless you have the D700 as well.
Yup, that's why I went with AAs. Nikon's cost for the new battery, charger and cover (or whatever it's called) was prohibitive for me.

But still, 8 fps is pretty f'kin awesome at times.

With long lenses in particular, the grip does help balance the load for me, even though it adds weight. I like being able to go in portrait orientation on a dime and have the key buttons at hand.

...... and the chicks dig it...... :biglaugh:

The battery grip allows for a better handle on the camera for me. It feels more solid. I like having the side button for shooting portrait shoots as well. Another very good feature for me, is the ability to take AA batteries. It's nice to know that if you batteries go out, you can keep a stash of AA's to use. they don't last as long of course but are nice for backup purposes. It also ads a more pro feel to the camera.

Daniel Sach
Sachphotography Fine Art Photography The homepage of Daniel Sach and his photography Company

Here's a way to get 8 FPS without spending $500 on the battery grip.

It works, I use it. It takes some getting used to.

Dan

P.S. I hate the way he says "Bu-N". (It's just me, don't worry)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a way to get 8 FPS without spending $500 on the battery grip.

This is fine, but it limits you to 9 frames and you have to reset it. With a grip on the D300 ot D700 there is no trick it will just shoot that fast and keep shooting until the buffer is full. I would hate to miss a shot setting up the work around.

and just to correct a small error from this thread the D300 and D700 only shoot 5 frames per second without the work around or grip.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back