Battery Grips

BoblyBill

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm wondering... since I'm thinking about getting one, but not sure if $189 is worth it. What's your thoughts. Are battery grips worth it?

Yes (for me, at least), and for many reasons.

- obviously, holds more batteries so I can take more pics before replacing batteries

- makes the camera easier to handle

- makes using longer/heavier lenses easier becuase it counter balances the weight effectively

- makes taking portrait pics eaiser (extra shutter button and other controls on the side)

I've been on the fence with these...I want one, but haven't been able to justify the cost yet. I don't have any really heavy lenses and my 20Ds are a fair size anyway...but I'd really like the extra shutter and control buttons.

Another benefit is that grips can take AA batteries. So if you don't have the means to charge your regular battery...AA are available just about anywhere.

I've been on the fence with these...I want one, but haven't been able to justify the cost yet. I don't have any really heavy lenses and my 20Ds are a fair size anyway...but I'd really like the extra shutter and control buttons.

Another benefit is that grips can take AA batteries. So if you don't have the means to charge your regular battery...AA are available just about anywhere.

I'm with you Big Mike. Also, does anyone have the BG-E2 or the BG-E2N? For those of you that have had both whats the difference? Both are compatable with my 40D but I can get the BG-E2 $54, were as the N is $189.

The BG-E2N improves upon the BG-E2 grip by adding Water-resistant, and dirt-resistant seals for greater durablility and to match the water resistant capability of the EOS 40D Camera Body. It is also compatible with the Canon EOS 30D SLR.

Same here ... I like the idea of extra buttons to make portraits a bit easier. But for $180 I'm not too sure about. I always carry two extra batteries which is more power then I have CF card space.

Also, have read complaints about shoddy plastic construction around the "screw-in" and fitting on 40D is "loose".

Hoping a version II will come out that use metal in connection areas.

SOOO ... stop buying these so Canon "gets the message" and upgrade it :lol:

I think I may have read that Opteka grips are actually made in the same factory as the Canon ones (I can't confirm that). In that case, they are probably pretty close (or the same) in terms of quality.

I think I may have read that Opteka grips are actually made in the same factory as the Canon ones (I can't confirm that). In that case, they are probably pretty close (or the same) in terms of quality.

Hmmm... Interesting... I'll have to look into this... Is it bad that my main reason for getting one really is because I'll look more professional :lmao:?

Also, have read complaints about shoddy plastic construction around the "screw-in" and fitting on 40D is "loose".
I've been hearing that about all the Canon grips. Apparently, the gear for the tightening screw is plastic and people tend to over tighten it and it becomes worn. The problem is that it doesn't feel really tight, which is why people over tighten it in the first place. I don't know if the new 'N' grip is any better.

On one hand, Canon probably doesn't want to make them to good. Remember that their pro level bodies have a built-in grip. So theoretically, if they made really good grips for lesser cameras, it might cannibalize some of their pro body sales.

Can't speak to the Canon grips, but I have an Ansmann grip for my Nikon and love it. I just spend 4 days/nights in Disney World with family on one charge with the Ansmann grip and it still had plenty of juice left when I got home (approx 2500 shots total... ok, my kids were ready to string me up). Oh, and I do like the extra body feel.

Can't speak to the Canon grips, but I have an Ansmann grip for my Nikon and love it

Same here....got a different brand on my D70, but it does the same thing....holds two batteries & gives extra grip. My hands are big, and a standard SLR has always felt like a P&S to me, so even "back in the day", I always bought motor drives for my standard size film cameras just for the extra grip & heft. I still have the old F2.....somewhere.

Can anyone comment on the Opteka equivalent to the OEMs? $85 vs $189 sounds good to me, but if it's junk, it's junk.

http://www.opteka.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=33

see below

I did quite a bit of research on this recently, and here's a summary of my research at least:

Opteka makes good grips for the Canon Rebel XT/XTi. Opteka makes crap for the 20D/30D/40D series. The people complaining about the Opteka on the XXD cameras complain that it doesn't always make connection. Even though the Optekas are reported to come from the same mold as the Canons, there's something not right with the BG-E2/BG-E2N mockups.

I'm with you Big Mike. Also, does anyone have the BG-E2 or the BG-E2N? For those of you that have had both whats the difference? Both are compatable with my 40D but I can get the BG-E2 $54, were as the N is $189.

A BG-E2 for $54? Check the details, the BGE2's are going USED for at least $100, as far as I know. If it is truly a BG-E2, then you found a steal. Just make sure it's not an off-brand.

I know its hard to pay 189.00 for what seems like a hunk of plastic.......But I wouldn't give mine up for anything.

It deffinatley makes the camera more balanced and the exra shutter buttons are nice too.

Im not really sure why I got one, but I did anyways. :lol:
Im glad I did though, I really like having the extra shutter button and having 2 batteries has saved me a couple times since I forgot to charge them. (However you can always just carry 2 batteries instead) Also being able to use aa's is a good thing about it, I havent needed to yet, but its good to know if I run out I can just use them instead.

Most reactions

Back