before you were born

WOW!!! I was living in VA Beach back then, Oceana Naval Station was just around the corner. I was in the motel business and many of the naval pilots and their families stay with us. Some with incredible stories.

great stuff! my grandfather was in the air force during the korean war, i loved looking at his old pics. theres a sense of history there that shines through no matter what the technical details. thanks for sharing these, and i'm glad you made it back safely.
beth

Your shutter speed in the first snap was around 125 maybe 250 because you have slight prop blur. As Vietnam Vets never were given the respect and welcome home they deserve ...

"Welcome home Colonel."

I was there in '67 and '68 as a correspondent. Spent a lot of time in I Corp. My brother was a door gunner with the 25th out of Cu Chi.

Unfortunately/Fortunately, UPI has all my negs ... but here's one from Central America ... another country, a different time ... but it's all the same.
28693890-L.jpg

Good Luck,
Gary

Same issue.
technical 'defects' don't hurt, and may even add to, the impact of this great shot.

Thanks for all comments.
For any of you who are war photo buffs I recommend you look into some of the books of great war photos besides which this one is really only snap.

Lew

Found this one in a bunch of old papers.
These are soldiers from Regional Forces Camp who were our guards when my assistant and I were out on the Medical Civic Action. They are carrying 30 calibre M1 carbines. Anyone who has seen The Quiet American with Michael Caine and Brendan Frasier will recognize the typical Vietnamese rural roads, compacted red dirt that run next to or between paddies.

The paddy water was incredibly polluted with fecal bacteria from all sources, not the least of which were the water-buffalo who refused to wait till they got to a rest stop and who pooped indiscriminately while pulling plows.

arvnlm2.jpg

These are excellent. It has been a great pleasure viewing them. Great documentary work. And that shot by Gary is just stunning. Thanks for posting these.

It is pictures like these that sparked my passion in photography and started my short career in the US Coast Guard.

I used to sit in the library for HOURS looking at pictures from the Vietnam era. I was mostly intrigued by Larry Burrows work, unfortunately the hilo (chopper as I think you guys call it) he was in was shot down and he was killed. I wanted to be a war photographer, but did not score high enough on the ASVAB to go that rate...I'm an on-the-job learner, I don't test well.

THANK YOU FOR SERVING. I SALUTE YOU!

Would it be appropriate for me to share photos that my grandfather took during WWII? Let me know. Thanks!

Wow... what amazing photographs! That's one thing I really love about prints -- they're such a link to our past!

Thanks Traveler -

I'm posting the link to the gallery instead of posting the photos because there are photos of dead concentration camp victims included, and I want people to be able to choose not to see them.

Interesting pictures. Are the negatives available to you?

Interesting pictures. Are the negatives available to you?

Unfortunately, not right now. My grandfather committed suicide about 22 years ago, and my Grandmother has Alzheimer's. We may be able to look for them after she passes.

Most reactions

Back