Beginner c&c

whimsy_bug

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
The deal with these photos is, I've upgraded and I'm selling my D3000 I listed it at $350.00 with the 18-55mm lens a UV and Polarizing filter, camera bag, brand new battery and charger.

The thing is my little sister says she really wants to be a photographer but being 10 with only a paper route she can't really afford what I'm asking. Being a cheapskate starving college student I don't want to give it away for free.

So I made a deal with her. I would let her use the camera and then do whatever she wanted to do with the photos in photoshop on my computer, then I told her to choose her favourite 3 so I could post them for a critique too prove that she was serious about being a photographer. Then I would let her have the camera for $200.00 on a $25.00 a month payment schedule.

So what do you think, does the kid get the camera?
(mind you she's never used a DSLR or Photoshop before)

Picture#1 "The evil sister"
66678_493152718416_509668416_7010118_7649116_n.jpg

She says she knows around the jaw is messed up but she didn't quite know
what she was doing yet.

Picture 2 "sleepy schmoo"
68993_488568683416_509668416_6930250_593807_n.jpg

Pic #3 "The can I have the camera now?"
33664_483379193416_509668416_6829021_7035768_n.jpg

She gets the camera!!! Those are better focused, composed and exposed than some I've seen here from people who allege they've been paid for their work. Why don't you cut her a better price if she does some work for you? Laundry, wash your car, write your term papers, that sorta stuff....

I'd say you'd be being a standup guy and promoting someone else into the world of photography for doing her a deal and letting her get the camera. It might not be the best deal in the world for you...but she is family. And really is a few hundred dollars going to really break you in the grand scheme of life compared to getting your younger sister a chance to get into photography?

So I'd say pictures aside, the camera is hers.

Shane

Survey Says.........

I don't care.

I say, let her hang onto it (or use it when she wants) for a couple months free of charge, show her some pointers, go out with her and take pictures, and compare her shots with yours. I personally think that would be a lot of fun. Meanwhile, tell her to save up her money over the next few months. If after a few months she's doing well, still wants to get into photography, and still wants to buy your camera, she'll have saved up money to buy it from you. If not, craigslist it and pocket everything it's worth. Everyone wins. Having her save money is also much better than teaching her how to pay off debt.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back