Beginnier: Hot Air Balloon Shoot

kayhay88

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am brand new here! I got a Nikon D3200 last year around Christmas, and though I have gotten to do some shoots and used it for some projects I am still lacking practice and thus understanding of settings. Luckily I live right across the street from a festival grounds where there is going to be a hot air balloon festival this weekend and I think it will be great practice! Last year it was perfect weather (blue skies) and they flew over my house in early morning to get set up at the grounds (so good light) but I did not yet have my camera.

I am looking for some basic tips on some settings. Also I do have polarizing lens filters but I have no idea when and which one to use but I have been reading that it may be good to use one when I'm taking pics of them in the sky? I have one that fades to blue and one that fades to red as well as a clear uv filter, purple tinted uv filter, or regular tinted uv filter. Haven't tested any of them!

What about a lens hood? I have a flexible one, I don't know if it would be useful for this kind of thing. I do have a "wide-angle lens attachment" and a little telephoto attachment (not stand alone just vivatar extensions that I may play around with.

And I will go to the festival for evening/night shots as well so any setting tips for that could be helpful as well.

Thanks for taking the time to read all this! I can't wait to meet some of you and learn some valuable skills!

Yes It does, thank you! I think I am a little more of a newbie than that poster so I may still need a few pointers son aperture/shutter speeds (though I did find a handy "cheat sheet" that is very helpful) but definitely at least makes me think about the set up and which lens to take.

Forgot to mention I only have a 18-55 kit and a 55-200mm so I am guessing I'll pretty much need the 55-200 for the fly over shots but at the festival I am torn, I will probably still stick with the same lens because I don't know how close I can get but for any close up opportunities I guess the 18-55 would be nice.

I REALLY hope they get to fly over this year, I will be so sad if they can't because I have been waiting since last year because I knew I would have my camera! lol

I can't speak to the evening shots as I was unable to attend the balloon glow/evening at the event I attended. Regarding daytime shooting, I don't have any filters but I think my skies turned out okay...

When I attended it was midafternoon and very bright so I was able to keep my shutter speeds high (around 250-340ish), my aperture stayed around 7.1-11ish, and ISO stayed at 100. As things started to get a little darker I slowed my shutter a bit and starting opening my aperture (smaller numbers... :) ).

Regarding lens options, I took my 50mm, 18-55, and 70-300. I never took my 50mm out of my bag. I found myself using the 18-55 for the majority of the balloon shots as the 70mm wasn't wide enough, but it allowed me to get some cool close-up photos. Here are a couple examples from my trip on Saturday.

18-55mm gives you wide(ish)...
2daagrp.jpg

70-300 gives you "close." I think that if I would have had my 55-200 with me I would have used it more...I would start with that and see how you like it depending on how close you are, etc.
2ecotu8.jpg

Hope this helps!!!

Thank you very much this is really helpful! If I'm super lucky and get to watch them fly over Friday morning because I will be at home which will make for easier lens changes and set up, and then at the actual even I will probably go with the 55-200! Fingers crossed for good weather conditions because I am excited! :adoration:

Awesome! Best of luck...and post what you get! I didn't get many great shots of the balloons because they took off one at a time and after a while single balloon shots are rather boring.

Good luck!

Will do! Yes, hopefully I'll get to see the groups fly over again (theres a competition flight one morning but I guess that will really depend on wind conditions and where I wait at. Definitely will share and good shots though! :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back