Belfast industry :: Home of Titanic

Dom0803

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Went for a biggggg long walk yesterday. Six hours round trip, with not one stop to sit!

I walked to Belfast City Airport first, took a few photos there, then headed to the 'Titanic Quarter' that is the part of Belfast Harbour that built the Titanic (also with the worlds largest dry dock)

Here's a few photos...

Belfast City Airport.. after Belfast footballer George Best passed on, they renaimed the airport after him.
DSCF0108.jpg

Bullet hole. During 'the troubles' a lot of Northern Ireland was unsafe.. didn't go to the shops unless you had a gun or shield. A lot of secluded places like this were the training grounds to terrorists.
DSCF0132.jpg

Harland and Wolff (Cranes named: Samson and Goliath) These are iconic of Belfast. When you think of Belfast's history the first thing to mind is (well after the war) these gantry cranes. They're absolutley enormous, you can't imagine the size of them until you're there. About two - two and a half football pitches. Use the steps leading up to what are canteens as a size comparison. Imagine someone walking up them and then someone running along the top of the crane!
DSCF0133.jpg

White Star Line planning building. WSL created the Titanic. They were based in Liverpool, but this is a building that designed the Titanic, and almost all its ships.
DSCF0138.jpg

This sign was outside a scrap metal yard/car crusher yard.. thought it was quite funny that they emphasise 'bought'. They obviously knuck them off the cars coming in for crushing!
DSCF0159.jpg

This spring's life hadn't come to an end yet.
DSCF0186.jpg

Harland and Wolff Shipyard directions
DSCF0192.jpg

My sexy self. What more can I say?
DSCF0180.jpg

Hope you enjoyed my brief history lesson of my city :D

I love Titanic - I've been a historian of the ship for almost 9 years now!

Great stuff.

I'm a Titanic buff, so this was very interesting. Thanks for sharing!

:)

Glad you all enjoyed! I've got a few more photos that are less arty and more to the subject, etc, so I'll crop them and stick them up. If there's any uncropped ones yous would like, just let me know.

Here's some more photos of H&W and WSL if anyone's interested.

A slightly overexposed Samson and Goliath
one-1.jpg

A slightly underexposed
two-1.jpg

WSL
three-1.jpg

WSL Entrance
four.jpg

A big crane
five.jpg

An abandoned factory
six.jpg

Some chains
seven.jpg

I like this one for its industrialness... if that's even a word.
eight.jpg

Hey there, I like the shots, especially the spring and the cranes in the first set. I live in Belfast actually... you need a photo buddy lol?

haha, small world eh. I guess it would be nice for someone to piggy back me whenever I'm done with walking for 6 hours :p

Sooner rather than later I shall have a car, and all my photography desires will be fullfilled without the requiment of sore legs :D

It'll be one of them aquatic cars that can drive me to exotic islands in the caribbian, btw, so you better bring mags for the ride :p

I drive already... its not an aquatic car but I can get from Stranmillis to the cranes, airport and back in less than 6 hours and without the sore legs... so YOU bring the mags!!! :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back