Website
www.lightartisan.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
D300s | Sigma 70-200

EDIT A Few Posts Below - Thank you.

4402195194_e024972161_b.jpg

Last edited:
I like it.. although I would like it better if there were no bushes on the left side.

Kinda boring

I think the snow looks a bit blown out,and that is distracting. I looked at it,and thought that cropping a bit off of the right hand side of the picture would improve it a bit. The mass of out of focus branches on the left side kind of forces the eye back, to the middle ranges, and so I think eliminating the "escape route" the eye has on the right hand side would help keep the emphasis on the bench. But like JimmyO so eloquently stated in two words...this shot is kinda boring. A bit of cropping might help it a bit, but it's not really making the grade with me as much more than a recording of a snowfall.

I was struck by the interesting profile shot of the bench and the obvious line it created in the midst of snow and trees. I find however that there are too many trees and too much space up top in the image and leaves a feeling that something is missing.
Cropping in closer, eliminating the top blown out sky, maybe fixing the blown out snow and somewhat cropping the side trees (not all, I like the framing their do, but there is a bit too much) might help.

Good eye though, you dont usually see photos of benches like this one.

Thanks for the great tips I really appreciate it. And as far as the 'Kinda boring' comment, I appreciate that too - simple and to the point :lol: I realize a photo of a bench won't appeal to everyone, but thank you - it'll push me to be more creative in my approach.

I've applied what you said and hopefully improved on it a little, I myself and a sucker for simple photographs - just something about the bench caught my eye and I had to capture it - simple, unused, I don't know - whatever it was it grabbed my attention and drew me to it.

You're right, the exposure was a little harsh and the branches were distracting.

4403361907_5df83433f0_b.jpg

Last edited:
What i meant is its a good picture, but that doesnt keep it from being boring.

Point taken, thank you. Perhaps a snow bunny in a bikini leaning over it with her skis stuck in the snow would help :lol:

Point taken, thank you. Perhaps a snow bunny in a bikini leaning over it with her skis stuck in the snow would help :lol:

Exactly what im thinkin

Any comments on the new edit?

Thanks!

The cropping on the new edit is much better. Lots better, with a greatly improved emphasis on the bench itself. I think now the snow looks a bit muddy in tonal value though, but the cropping is really much better. And the lens performance is good--I can see the wood grain in that one board in the backrest area of the bench. I think the image is a bit low in local contrast; it needs a slight bit more contrast between the tones adjacent to one another, and if the snow were brightened up just a tad bit, that would be great.

What's interesting to me is how the one,single,solitary out of focus stick at the bottom edge of the frame, about 1/3 of the way toeard the middle coming from the left edge, provides a foreground "anchor" for my eye. In the original edit, there was a very close, OOF blob on the bushes, which was very disatracting visually. In your edit, you have an OOF foreground object that is on the edge of the frame, but is much less-distracting,and which actually "works", wheras in the original, it did not work.

I mention this because things at the very edge of a frame can have a powerful impact, and create a lot of tension. The things at the very edges of the frame can,at times, really distract the eye. In this case though, there's not a lot of distraction, I think mostly because the OOF stick leads or physically points up,and into the main picture area.

that could work :sexywink:. i also thought the shot was quite boring but your re-edit of the levels and cropping has improved its look. context is everything though - in a film (or a story), there could've be a prior sequence of events that make the shot very significant...the fact the bench is empty. a good example of the power of a caption.

Awesome, thank you Derrel - a lot of things to consider there that I never thought of.

The snow is a tough one to battle it seems - it's either over exposed or the shadows from the foot prints draw from it.

Is there a happy medium? I'd love to add a touch of brightness to it as I believe the bench would benefit slightly, however as it is the difference from the first edit to the second is only a .5 adjustment if I remember right.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back