Best Tablet Solution For Photographers

LarissaPhotography

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.larissaphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Last night we were looking at ipad's at the store. What immediately turned me off to the ipad was the lack of flash support. It seems like there are Android enabled tablets that support flash now. We're looking for something around 10 inches. Any suggestions?

KmH,
Thanks for the reply. I was actually looking at the other kind of tablet - the handheld graphical version. I'm not sure why they call both tablet's. I guess because they're both touch screen? Anyway - we're looking for something that will make it easy to show off our work to clients. We've seen some people use iPad's, and they seem super fast. Our laptop just doesn't seem as suited to showing off our work.

Untill there is an app for either iOS or Android that allows teathered shooting, then IMO there isn't much justification for a 500$ tablet when the same (and more) could be handled by a 200$ netbook.

Flash really has nothing to do with it, and the iPad does have a lot of cool things for photographers that I've read about around the interwebs. No personal use myself, but as I said, without the ability to connect my camera to it directly, I have no need or desire for one.

Well that really has nothing to do with being a photographer, just web browsing. In that case, I still think any netbook would do the job fine. It's not as "cool" as a tablet, but its infinitely more useful. The Motorola XOOM runs flash, but is still a bit rough around the edges and pretty expensive. There really aren't any other formidable tablet options at the moment.

I think tablets are in the infancy stage but they do seem very interesting. All tablets are using the "cloud" as that is the next great evolution that the experts are touting. Don't own any and not an Apple fan but the Ipad seems that it will be the clear winner IMO; although I would think a laptop may be a better choice for getting work done. Dell has a flip top netbook/laptop that seems like it may be the best of both worlds. But since we are talking tablets, my choice would be the Ipad or Ipad 2 - not sure what's the difference in the two.

the Ipad or Ipad 2 - not sure what's the difference in the two.
Not a whole lot. iPad2 adds a little more processing power and some cheap cameras, but that's about it. No real design changes or additions.

I'm typing this on my Asus EP121 slate. Windows 7, quad core CPU, USB ports, bluetooth, Wacom digitizer, etc. Basically a laptop without keyboard. I have all the Canon software for tethering, post procesing, etc., I can use it on my desk with a keyboard & mouse as a regular PC, and I use it as a tablet while sitting on the couch surfing the Internet, reading email, using the Kindle app, etc. It's the only tablet I've seen that can also be a true laptop replacement.

I'm typing this on my Asus EP121 slate. Windows 7, quad core CPU, USB ports, bluetooth, Wacom digitizer, etc. Basically a laptop without keyboard. I have all the Canon software for tethering, post procesing, etc., I can use it on my desk with a keyboard & mouse as a regular PC, and I use it as a tablet while sitting on the couch surfing the Internet, reading email, using the Kindle app, etc. It's the only tablet I've seen that can also be a true laptop replacement.

+1 on the Asus, i was actually at the store yesterday playing around with it and found that it was the only tablet actually capable of supporting a windows environment. I was also surprised at the specs that where in this thing.

Well I'd probably go with the iPad 2 with ShutterSnitch app the allows transfer between the Eye-Fi SD card and the iPad...voilà! Tethered shooting with iPad ;)
I have to add that that the next best thing to a tablet would be the Dell Inspiron Duo.

Last edited:
And for a little bit of extra money he can get a pad that is an actual computer as opposed to apples sorry excuse for an operating system.

If they have flash on their website you probably don't want to be looking at it anyway. The ipad's actually doing you a favor there.

THE real tool for a photographer would be the Modbook or even better the Modbook Pro...although it's probably too heavy just to hand out to show clients tough...

Most reactions

Back